CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greedy kite

16th October 2014, 09:14
Belated congrats, ixion, & thanx, ginge (tho' I too couldn't find my Google password offhand).
Esp. for chris: we found an enormous Oleander Hawk Moth caterpillar here y'day, apparently poisonous, so a famous German bird-book-Illustrator, who helped me identify it on the phone, commented "One dead cat would help the bird population here". I will have nothing said here against any felines as sweet as our four. So there! But do all look up the moth: the pictures of its spring clothing 2015 took my breath away. Fashion collections nothing by comparison. Good old Mother Nature! The find rounded off a beautiful day for us.
41 of 46  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th October 2014, 09:18
Gosh, GK! The moth is very elegant, but the caterpillar looks like it is auditioning for a remake of "E.T."!
42 of 46  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

16th October 2014, 12:15
It's woolly bear season over here. It's hard to believe that insect larvae can be so endearing. They always make me smile.

http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/woolly-bear-caterpillars
43 of 46  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

17th October 2014, 06:25
Chris: ugly indeed (beaten only by the Death's Head HM we found here a couple of years ago, identified via The Net in the days when I still detested computers!) Btw we thought the horn was on top of the head till it started moving "backkwards" so to speak!
And Aristo: your WB picture reminds me of certain WC brushes.
Actually this moment we're chasing a hornet found in our recently vacated guest room, & C's particularly allergic to bites. A couple of summers ago we had several Asian Hornets nests in the village (originally imported in a shipload of Chinese pottery in Bordeaux).
Fire brigade no longer allowed to remove them: you have to call speciaist "troops". What I then found out about their bee-massacring abilities sent the proverbial shiver down my spine. Funny how we keep coming back to Natural History observations here, ennit?
44 of 46  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

17th October 2014, 06:34
(Next point:) The link to the Wooly Worm festival in NC is truly amusing, esp. the detail that watching them climb up a piece of string is so ridiculous it liberates the spectators! A harmless variant of LSD buried in the Hinterland of the States, then.............................
45 of 46  -   Report This Post

paul

17th October 2014, 09:25
Well done Ixion - lovely clue! Thanks for the mention Ginge.
46 of 46  -   Report This Post