CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

4th October 2014, 20:47
That's what I thought you meant - but was getting myself tangled up. I will have another look and a stiff drink - but maybe not in that order!
31 of 54  -   Report This Post

malone

4th October 2014, 20:59
Many thanks, Nelson. I've done all my modifications. Have just realised that I didn't finish off 16 A - this thread's on a loop, that's where we started many hours ago!
32 of 54  -   Report This Post

nelson

4th October 2014, 21:02
I too am about to have a stiff drink. After all, it's the thematic thing to do.

16A was the last answer I got. Not really satisfied with the answer.
33 of 54  -   Report This Post

malone

4th October 2014, 21:10
My 16 begins with M - according to Chambers, this fits the first part of the clue adequately and I've persuaded myself that the second part ('pinch') works OK too.
34 of 54  -   Report This Post

nelson

4th October 2014, 21:20
Oh dear - mine began with P, but yours is right.
Old word for boxing, and also a word meaning to rob or steal.
Thanks for starting me in the right direction and rounding the whole thing off.
Have another drink, you've earned it.
35 of 54  -   Report This Post

nelson

4th October 2014, 21:29
I can now enjoy the rest of the evening in the company of my old friend John Jameson.
36 of 54  -   Report This Post

malone

4th October 2014, 21:37
... and thank you for helping me at the crucial 'almost there but not quite stage'!

I originally thought of the P word but didn't really like it, so investigated the M word, which I'd cast as a slight possibility.

37 of 54  -   Report This Post

nelson

4th October 2014, 21:53
Just one last thing.
I was misled a bit at 5D.
The first word of the real answer could also be a brand name theme word. Bit of a red herring that held me up for a while.

And, the second word of the real answer is modified to a brand name that doesn't seem to include the first theme word - at least not that i can find in google.
38 of 54  -   Report This Post

malone

4th October 2014, 22:07
Re the second part of 5 D - the Wiki entry shows there are various 'tiers' of R..... - and the theme word appears in the second tier.

I haven't had a chance to mull over the first part of 5 D.
39 of 54  -   Report This Post

nelson

4th October 2014, 22:18
Thanks malone.
Job done I think.
Good night.
40 of 54  -   Report This Post