CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

eccles45

19th April 2014, 14:54
I found this infuriatingly easy for a bank holiday cryptic :-(

The clue at 10d was so obvious it was my first one in before I'd even checked that the author of the work had been born in 1914. Then all you needed was the wiki entry and ...

Mind you, there is absolutely no way I could have finished this without going online. It's just that I expect more from a bank holiday cryptic - a few 'aha' moments, some giggles etc - but here there was nowt.
21 of 36  -   Report This Post

chrise

19th April 2014, 15:03
I agree, eccles - I do dislike crosswords where entering one solution - in this case, the quotation - fills in about a third of the grid.

Most of the characters I could have filled in from memory weren't included, so I had to use wikipedia as well.
22 of 36  -   Report This Post

simond9x

19th April 2014, 15:07
I agree. I actually guessed the theme (10D) from the surname of 46A which I assumed must be one of the themed answers. Never having read the work, I had no idea of any of the characters' names. Using Wiki to give me a list, and also the main quotation, seemed pointless so I gave up at that point.

Sadly, I still associate the Easter puzzle with the late Rev.
23 of 36  -   Report This Post

rrc

19th April 2014, 15:52
i beg to differ even with 10d in not much further progress has been made despite having a list of characters in front of me
24 of 36  -   Report This Post

chrise

19th April 2014, 16:05
Hi rrc
If you have the work, the quotation is simply the opening lines.
25 of 36  -   Report This Post

eccles45

19th April 2014, 16:20
Once you have 10d, the clue for 28d is an oft used one, then there ain't many words that fit t?w? to try and fit in the work in question for the long quote.
26 of 36  -   Report This Post

rrc

19th April 2014, 16:26
thanks Chrise, shall have to do google search!
27 of 36  -   Report This Post

simond9x

19th April 2014, 17:10
I don't get any satisfaction from completing a crossword if I use the internet (or other reference works) to give me any of the answers. Sure, I'm happy to Google to check that an answer I've derived from the clue is actually correct. The problem (for me) with this particular crossword is that there is nothing whatsoever to help lead you to the quotation if you don't know the work in question. You have no option but to look up or give up (I chose the latter). As someone said earlier, that accounts for about a third of the crossword.

Very disappointing.
28 of 36  -   Report This Post

puzzledpom

19th April 2014, 18:55
Yes, a bit disappointing for a Bank Holiday workout. Easy enough once the (fairly) obvious theme jumps out at one.

Having said that, I'm still stuck on 1d.

Any hints anyone?

Thanks
29 of 36  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

19th April 2014, 19:04
It's a french expression for "a fit of the giggles"
30 of 36  -   Report This Post