CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

john (from arran)

30th December 2009, 18:02
One advantage of using the question mark is that the unknown word can quickly be copied and pasted into the various word solver sites available on the wibble thingy.
11 of 32  -   Report This Post

machloop

31st December 2009, 13:34
I too find it difficult to 'see' words with question marks in. I vote for hyphens [with spaces too if required.

H-P-E-S
E-E-Y
T-M-
12 of 32  -   Report This Post

philip

31st December 2009, 15:25
Whether its ??? or ---- is ok for "across" clues, but how do we do "down" clues?

PHILIP

13 of 32  -   Report This Post

philip (again)

31st December 2009, 19:15
Well that was a show stopper!

The intention was to show how futile the issue of ? or - is. At the end of the day it does not really matter, as long as the basic principles as outlined in John's original post are followed. The problem is that we are all in a rush to outdo one another and be the first to answer. I am probably slower than most so by the time I am ready to post an answer two or three of you have already responded. So lets just get on with it. Could I suggest that every so often John reposts his first post and the rest of us just shut up and accept it.

Philip
14 of 32  -   Report This Post

philip

31st December 2009, 19:54
You say
"The problem is that we are all in a rush to outdo one another and be the first to answer. I am probably slower than most so by the time I am ready to post an answer two or three of you have already responded. So lets just get on with it."
may I say that
A) I am in no hurry to "outdo" anyone.
and
B)Isn't this totally irrelevant as you are talking the answers given rather than the way in which questions are posed?

15 of 32  -   Report This Post

trevor

31st December 2009, 20:01
Sorry PHILIP
I made you seem schizophrenic, the above post was from me trevor.
16 of 32  -   Report This Post

helena

31st December 2009, 20:03
for me its all about pitting yourself against the clues that the compiler has contrived and not against the rest of the forum, but i would be lying to deny i do feel a glow of satisfction to be the first to post the answer, but it is not the be all and end all of the forum i am not that eogitstical
17 of 32  -   Report This Post

philip

1st January 2010, 16:01
Hi Trevor

I dont mind you using my name, particularly if it gives the impression I am the first to answer!!

What I said is relevant to the point raised several posts ago in that should we ignore any posts that dont give the full info.

There does seem to be a body of opinion that we should ignore incomplete posts, but the reality is that SOMEONE will respond anyway. What John from Arran was trying to do was to try to normalise as much as we can. I suspect that nearly everyone who subscribes to this site probably lives a sad life anyway, so I suppose we can only do our best.

As I say, continue to use my name when answering, but please, only if you know you are right!!

Happy New Year

PHILIP
18 of 32  -   Report This Post

jolan

1st January 2010, 16:13
Ah cummon guys and gals! The ? is quite adequate to represent missing letters. Even my ancient eyes can count 'em. I certainly have difficilty in separating hyphens when used as missing letters.
HNY all!
19 of 32  -   Report This Post

jolan

1st January 2010, 16:33
And, besides! A ? is the most commonly used wildcard symbol across the world of IT. So why is it causing soaring blood pressure in some of our dearest(and wisest)contributors? Is it post-festive blues (I didn't like to use 'irritabiliy'). Chill out, it's only a short time till next Christmas.
20 of 32  -   Report This Post