CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

livs

5th August 2013, 16:16
Then I guess I need a B but where does it come from?
21 of 43  -   Report This Post

livs

5th August 2013, 16:18
cmk, sweet of you to say so but I didn't parse 6d apart from 'the Queen' and the definition - no idea where the rest of it comes from.
22 of 43  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

5th August 2013, 16:18
I use google chrome with the latest java installed, but I suspect it's more "luck" than anything else!!

"Sometimes works on firefox" but not always!

The "extras" are a cricket term
6d look at the final letters of those indicated + ER and anagram it
23 of 43  -   Report This Post

cmk

5th August 2013, 16:19
LIVE (ie liv not ly-ve)
24 of 43  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

5th August 2013, 16:20
be - to live
25 of 43  -   Report This Post

livs

5th August 2013, 16:23
Mmm, just worked out 6D while you were both replying (thanks).

Sudokulover, what I don't understand is that the Grauniad's 'not available yet' page address is the same as your link except the numbers at the end of yours are missing - where do they come from?
26 of 43  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

5th August 2013, 16:28
first i go to this link:
http://www.theguardian.com/crosswords

then I double click on genius

the crossword title and preamble appear with the java symbol coming through slowly, then the whole crossword appears

then i scroll down to "print version" (bottom left of screen) & click on that

I am sure it is all to do with having the latest java installed

27 of 43  -   Report This Post

livs

5th August 2013, 16:41
But that's the button that I'm clicking and I (and someone else on this thread) get the 'not available yet' message! Surely a printable version is a printable version, a button is a button and a link is a link is a link...?

Why would a button have a different link under it depending on whether you've got java/script installed or not?

Surely if a w/s offers a printable version rather than an interactive one, it should go there when you select it?

I've asked the Grauniad previously to put a plain version of the genius up somewhere where everyone can see it (and then those who complete it and want to send it in can wrestle with the java/browser problem). They still haven't done it. I still think it's a good idea, and much fairer than this hit-and-miss system.
28 of 43  -   Report This Post

livs

5th August 2013, 16:46
The other thing I'm wondering is whether those final (3?) digits run consecutively from month to month, so that we could get the 'not available yet' screen up, append the 3 digits increased by 1 from the previous month and Bob's your uncle!

I mean, dear Sudokulover, what if you fell under a bus? We would never be able to see the genius again! And it would be pretty inconvenient for you too.
29 of 43  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

5th August 2013, 16:49
I will try hard not to fall under a bus livs!

Hope things get sorted soon.

Yesterday I could not get the pdf version of Azed even when mamya posted a link, I still got "error page" so had to make do with the "bog standard print off"
Today the pdf downloaded quite normally!
All very strange??
30 of 43  -   Report This Post