CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unclued

18th July 2013, 07:16
Lavengro
2Dn The definition is "Ancient book covering". Then use FO for folio an abbreviation for concerning and Will's last letter!
11 of 38  -   Report This Post

unclued

18th July 2013, 07:23
Lavengro and Frank.
The phrase is an unusual one! I've never heard of it before. The unused number in the first word is 12 (L). You should have got the other letters from the down clues. Make an anagram of the first 5 letters and separately the next 4 letters from these clues. Both words are obscure so don't go for the obvious! Also now that you have the extra L, you may be near finding the name of the person who used the phrase. It is an old name starting with H and ending US.
12 of 38  -   Report This Post

frankspencer

18th July 2013, 10:21
Thanks, unclued.

I don't think I would ever have got there without help.
13 of 38  -   Report This Post

lavengro

18th July 2013, 11:23
That makes two of us.

Many, many thanks, unclued !
14 of 38  -   Report This Post

demeter

19th July 2013, 08:36
24 Across?

I've got COMPOUND, but only really to fit in with the other letters. I can't make any sense of it re. the clue.
15 of 38  -   Report This Post

unclued

19th July 2013, 13:22
Demeter - the word you want is CROMORNA.
16 of 38  -   Report This Post

demeter

19th July 2013, 14:38
Thanks unclued
17 of 38  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

19th July 2013, 16:55
Almost a complete grid but cannot fathom 11a and 28d. Also bamboozled by 22d where I have just the unchecked letters to put in (L and E). Is this latter ambiguity solved by the highlighting reqd. Any hints gratefully received. Cheers !
18 of 38  -   Report This Post

unclued

19th July 2013, 18:57
Hello again uncle w. I hope I can help you.
11Ac The TV system is PAL - that should give you the answer.
28Dn take a from extra add o and jumble!
As far as 22Dn goes, my advice is to google the two word title and you will discover an important property of the thematic treatment. I assume you are having the same trouble with 35Ac.
Get back if you need further help.
19 of 38  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

19th July 2013, 22:27
Thank you unclued. Nice to hear from you again. Missed 11a with it appearing under 'lapis'. Never would have got 28d as I have never come across it before! You're right about 35a of course and surely 11a is also in the same category! I can't get the two word phrase although as you have already pointed out 'L' is the extra letter. Maybe I have something wrong with the other extra letters. For across I have 'UASRCHSET' and with the 'L' the only name I have come up with is 'CHARLES' leaving 'STU' !! For down I have 'APC?N?IRE' since I haven't worked definitons for 10 and 18d. Hope you can help without giving too
much away . Cheers!
20 of 38  -   Report This Post