CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rosalind

14th July 2013, 23:06
No idea GK, haven't solved any of it yet except one of the clues that doesn't fit. I've been playing monsters and picking strawberries.
11 of 26  -   Report This Post

syzygy

15th July 2013, 02:55
@Aristo

It certainly was easy - about an hour, even while updating the 3 machines. We're slaves to those suckers! Computers were supposed to free us from drudgery.

There were actually 3 foreign words, 16A, 4D, 38D.
8D is hardly uncommon, & the other two are probably in the lexicon of anyone who does British cryptics.
My fave was 32A Check written without a pen (3). (US spelling)

@GK

Another US pronunciation is at 14A - undo instead of undew.
OS is short for Operating System.

@Rosalind

Fresh strawberries - Mmmmm !

Did you manage to download from the link or did use Les's copy?
I'm at a loss as to why it didn't work for you. Between my tests & feedback from others, it was OK on at least 4 different platforms & 4 browsers.
If it happens again I'd appreciate a screen-shot, but we can deal with that another time.

For anyone still using IE (Internet Explorer) I would really recommend Firefox or Chrome.

Cheers.
12 of 26  -   Report This Post

les40

15th July 2013, 03:27
Hi Syzzie,

I really messed up because of the letters I put in 11a I got two wrong so it foxed me for the night yesterday. The Undo/Undew clue, aristo put me right with that pronunciation. Found it really enjoyable as usual. My fave cle was 6a because I just didn't see it for ages, I was looking for the anagram but was trying to find a location in China, nice penny drop moment when I twigged.
Anyway, I've been writing clues for my Harpers style crossword all night and have now got 36 completed with plenty of Americanisms for you and aristo. Just 43 more to write and we'll be up and running.
13 of 26  -   Report This Post

syzygy

15th July 2013, 03:39
Excellent. The sharks are circling.

Re 11A - do you have those over there?
I'm hip to China now because it's been appearing a lot lately as "mate", but this is a US puzzle, went right for the anagram.

I'll have to check the Wall Street Journal for some tougher Atlantic-style puzzles.
14 of 26  -   Report This Post

les40

15th July 2013, 03:59
Had to look it up on Wiki, but had an idea because my mum has a collection of dolls and I had a faint memory of them being mentioned many moons ago.
15 of 26  -   Report This Post

rosalind

15th July 2013, 06:11
Syzygy
I downloaded the JE files from the link using IE, thank you. Aristo sent me the Harpers puzzle
I do a lot of research in 19th century US newspapers, huge databases. If I try to do this for AOL, it doesn't work. But it works fine with IE.
My son is very busy with job and babies but I will try to get him to get rid of IE for me and substitute Firefox. I have heard from several sources it is much better. I don't know how to do a screen shot, I will ask about that as well. It shouldn't happen again, I'll just remember not to use AOL
Nothing like fresh strawberries from your own garden, no sprays, plant to mouth in 5 secs! Though some do last to get washed.
16 of 26  -   Report This Post

les40

15th July 2013, 15:08
Hiya Rosalind,

I don't think Syzzie will be on until later but if you want to take a screen shot, here's how to do it.

When you're on the web or browser page that you need a picture of, press the 'PRINT SCREEN' key in the top right area of the keyboard. It's usually situated to the right of F12 key on the top row (on a laptop it may be abbreviated to something like 'Prt Sc'
It looks like nothing's happened but open a new blank WORD Document.
Right click on the blank page and a menu box will appear, Left click on PASTE and the screen shot will appear. It will be like a picture of exactly what you had on your screen including everything including pictures, words and menu bars. like a photo of what you had on the screen when you pressed 'PRINT SCREEN' If you want to make the picture bigger, just Left click in the middle of the picture and a lined square will will appear round the border and then just left click on any line, hold down left click button and pull the line outwards until you get the desired width and height, tou can click and stretch any of the lines, once you have the desired size, just click outside this box and it will make the lines disappear and you're ready to save the file image. You can keep clicking inside and out as many times as you want until you're happy with the required dimensions of the picture. If you get stuck, ring me. But I will be popping out in a bit for some shopping.
17 of 26  -   Report This Post

rosalind

15th July 2013, 22:24
Thank you Les. i have copied all that in case I need it in the future to report stuff
18 of 26  -   Report This Post

ixion

15th July 2013, 22:48
Thanks Aristo and Syzygy, these puzzles are always good fun...did anyone else get boxes for "fi" and "fl" bits of words?

19 of 26  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

15th July 2013, 22:52
Fi and fl? Don't know what you mean.
20 of 26  -   Report This Post