CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

9th July 2013, 15:46
LOL :))
11 of 27  -   Report This Post

ab

9th July 2013, 17:00
Thanks again Jolan, for great clues.
My stabs are below. One is more of a thrust in the dark.
1. Couch becomes ragged on delivery (6) Phrase?
“Phrase” sounds like (on delivery) “frays”- becomes ragged. To couch something is to phrase it?
2 Asian oil producers pull low g in battered cars (12) Chaulmoogars?
Chaulmoogars are Asian oil producers (chaulmoogra oil is used in Indian and Chinese medicine). Pull – haul + low – moo + g, all in anagram of cars –“C haul moo g ars”?
3. A crippled foe may be the culmination of an eagle’s flight (5,2,5) A long shot Pride of place?
Anagram of “A crippled foe” is pride of place, presumably where an eagle’s flight ends?
4. Mine planted by a unit (4,3) One’s own?
Planted – sown with unit – one to give One’s own- mine?
5. Rupert Murdoch’s not abreast of changes? (6,3,5) Behind the times? Rupert Murdoch owns The Times, so is “behind the times” – not abreast of changes?
12 of 27  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th July 2013, 17:00
I have just two again:

3. pride of place
5. behind the times

I look forward to seeing all the other
answers later.
Thanks as always jolan x
13 of 27  -   Report This Post

chrise

9th July 2013, 17:02
Same two for me jolan - "pride of place" was correct after all - I will need it explaining, I fear!
14 of 27  -   Report This Post

chrise

9th July 2013, 17:04
I've just read AB's answers. "Chaulmoogars" is wonderfully clued, but wherever did you come across the word?
15 of 27  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

9th July 2013, 17:12
Haven't been able to get onto the site!
1- PHRASE
2- CHAULMOOGRAS
3- PRIDE OF PLACE
4- SINK SET (works but sounds too American)
5- BEHIND THE TIMES
16 of 27  -   Report This Post

ab

9th July 2013, 17:13
Thanks Chrise you have highlighted that I made a typo. I think it should be Chaulmoogras? The oil was the way into the clue for me>
17 of 27  -   Report This Post

jolan

9th July 2013, 17:15
Oh! Very well done ab (chaulmooGRA), you've got 'em all.

Thanks also Chrise (Chambers - just stumble across the occasional beaut, Jazzy, GK and Ari. Here are my workings, though ab seems to have done it for me.

1. (homophone) becomes ragged = frays; sounds like (on delivery), PHRASE (v) = couch.

2. pull = haul; low = moo; g = g; battered cars = c ras; CHAULMOOGRAS = Asian trees yielding chaulmoogra oil.

3. anag (may be) of “a crippled foe” = PRIDE OF PLACE = the culmination of an eagle’s (or a hawk’s) flight (Chambers).

4. a unit = one; planted = sown; ‘planted’ by ‘a unit’ = one + sown = ONE’S OWN = what belongs to oneself (Chambers) = mine

5. (cryptic) BEHIND THE TIMES
18 of 27  -   Report This Post

jolan

9th July 2013, 17:16
... and Ari. You posted while I wrote. All spot-on except for one.
19 of 27  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

9th July 2013, 17:18
Mine: SINK
planted: SET
a bathroom unit :)
20 of 27  -   Report This Post