CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

5th July 2013, 13:40
Hello Mondrian
I also found it tricky this week. 3d is the actor who played Captain Kirk in Star Trek, and is an anagram of "tall irishman we"
There is so much to do in the garden, cutting back overgrown shrubs and the lawn is almost covered with clover which the bees love (there is a bees nest in my neighbour's garden) so I have to delay mowing until the clover dies down. Best wishes. J
21 of 30  -   Report This Post

mondrian

5th July 2013, 13:48
Thanks Jazzgirl. That may get me restarted!! Good luck with your garden. I see you are promised a hot weekend. I am trying to decide if I can endure another cliff-hanger from Andy Murray this afternoon. Had to abandon his match 2 days ago after second set as I could `take no more`!!! So missed the start of his come-back.
22 of 30  -   Report This Post

raymond

5th July 2013, 15:07
Oh DEAR...R.Timers,
I'm struggling this week. HELP please with 14d, & 5d. Not sure whether my 11a is correct (top of foot?,,) or 16a. Think I'm O.K. with 15a but unsure with 21a (thus my problem with 14d if you get my drift.!) Think it's the weather, my brain hurts and I'm waiting for Murray ! :
23 of 30  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

5th July 2013, 15:35
hi Raymond
14d is a name of an anaesthetic . Michael C**** (actor) for the last 5 letters. First 3 letters is abbrev. for the 11th month of the year
5d is the bellringer (Notre Dame).
11a is the top of the foot.
16a where football is played?
21a another word for "stay" Do hope this helps. I am just taking a break during tennis.
24 of 30  -   Report This Post

raymond

5th July 2013, 23:12
Thanks Jazzy,
Guess what..! It was Andy's success that got my brain into gear. (great game eh?). Went back to the c/word and everything clicked into place..even before I read your post.! Esmeralda came to mind and so did Sir Mike..! Could kick myself..now I can relax. Who says that crosswords are relaxing?!
Enjoy our weekend of summer.! :-).. R
25 of 30  -   Report This Post

andy pandy

6th July 2013, 10:58
Hi all, I've not posted for a while, but I'm always here reading your deliberations.

Definitely a hard one this week, so far as I'm concerned. 4d's a nice clue though, I thought - but only after Jazzgirl explained it :~) I'd been struggling with Wisden and the wrong kind of cricket.

Anyway, I'm still stuck on three that don't seem to have troubled the rest of you:

1d - French writer up tree
10a - Drama series
20d - What sort of mug?

Gentle hints please...

A-P
26 of 30  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

6th July 2013, 11:03
hi andy pandy
1d is a tree which has bright orange/red leaves in Autum. The French writer begins with C so becomes the last letter of the tree.
10a TV drama series set in the A & E dept.
20d a German drinking mug

Hope this helps. Jg
27 of 30  -   Report This Post

andy pandy

6th July 2013, 11:40
Thanks JG all done now. I really should have got 10a - I'd already figured the TY ending from heartless attempt, Doh!

Cheers, A-P
28 of 30  -   Report This Post

butterfly

6th July 2013, 14:43
Enjoyed this weeks, I do like a bit of a challenge, some good clues although I hadn't heard of 8d. Was stuck on 1d as the only tree I could think of was a Malus, which I believe is a crab apple but hadn't heard of a French writer called Sulam!! Thanks to Jazzgirl for the hint. We used to have one of those in our garden until it got too big. Going out in the garden now to soak up some sun and to finish Sandi Toksvig's "Gladys Reunited" - a very good read.
29 of 30  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

6th July 2013, 14:46
hi butterfly
I first had the French writer as Alexandre Dumas so a slight problem there also !
30 of 30  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT 28