CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

4th June 2013, 14:07
Got 'em all. Still haven't seen Tony- I don't think.
11 of 32  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

4th June 2013, 16:53
I may also have #1 now
12 of 32  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

4th June 2013, 16:59
1- HOUSE OF CARDS (self-evident)
2- WHIPPERSNAPPER (whippers-stealers, napper-head)
3- RIP(SNORT)ER
4- TSIGANE (subtractive anagram)
5- PALINDROME
13 of 32  -   Report This Post

ab

4th June 2013, 17:00
Thanks again Jolan, for another challenging set of clues. Great fun as always,
Here are my attempts.

1. Comedians living in an unstable situation? (5,2,5) – House of Cards? Comedians (cards) living in a house would be a “house of cards”- an unstable situation.

2. Thieves head for an impudent lowly person (14) – Whippersnapper? A “whipper” and a “snapper” are thieves and together give “whippersnapper” an “impudent lowly person” (Chambers)

3. It’s more mature having a quick drink and a fast and furious affair (10) – Ripsnorter? More mature is “riper” having “snort” a quick drink inside becomes “ripsnorter” – “a fast and furious affair”.

4. Gypsy negotiants moved not evicted (7) – Tsigane? . Anagram of “Negotiants”, (moved) without “not” is “Tsigane” – a gypsy.

5. Draw pupil’s lip upward to expose it (10) – Palindrome? “Draw pupil’s lip upward” is a palindrome.
14 of 32  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

4th June 2013, 17:01
Just three to offer:

1. House of cards ?
4. tsigane
5. palindrome

15 of 32  -   Report This Post

ab

4th June 2013, 17:02
2 Right answer- faulty reasoning- Aristo's is spot on.
16 of 32  -   Report This Post

tony

4th June 2013, 17:07
Nice clues again Jolan & I had the same answers as
Aristo.

Palindromes are popular clues at the present - I recall
3 from the last two weeks.

Cheers T
17 of 32  -   Report This Post

andyc

4th June 2013, 17:09
1,4 and 5 only, nowhere near really on 2 (tatterdemalion....look it up ha ha and miles off on 3. Well done Aristo and AB....back to the garden and many thanks to you Jolan.
18 of 32  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

4th June 2013, 17:10
Thanks jolan as always. I have to go out now, but will pop in later. Well done Ari, AB & Tony
19 of 32  -   Report This Post

jolan

4th June 2013, 17:23
Welcome also to Rossim, Ari, Jazzy (me too! Those dratted Leylandii), Tony and ab. Ari and ab great exp;lanatons, Ari's being mine. Although absolutely no need to include my working, I'll paste it in just for completion. Off to my infamous din-din now. Bless you all. John

1. (cryptic) HOUSE OF CARDS (comedians) = an unstable situation

2. thieves = whippers; head = napper; yielding, WHIPPERSNAPPER = any lowly person who behaves impudently (Chambers)

3. riper = more mature; snort = a quick drink (inf)(Chambers); rip(snort)er= RIPSNORTER = a fast and furious affair (Chambers).

4. subtractive anagram (evicted & moved) of “negotiants” – “not” = TSIGANE = tzigany = a Hungarian gypsy (Chambers)

5. PALINDROME

I'll peek in later tonight. Beautiful day today.
20 of 32  -   Report This Post