CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greedy kite

27th February 2013, 07:18
That's exactly what I meant! Can't see what else could be intended, though. Maybe we're just expecting too much, as often........................
11 of 35  -   Report This Post

trevor

27th February 2013, 07:18
i agree about it being a bit obvious, i'm still wondering if i've overlooked something. it was a great puzzle overall tho.

re. the link i mentioned.
i think it may have been advice, rather than an actual link, but was much appreciated.Ta :-)
12 of 35  -   Report This Post

syzygy

27th February 2013, 07:48
Good -- sometimes I can help with the technical stuff.

Yesterday was like that. HQ did a major systems upgrade to our library database & I walked into bedlam. Nobody could log in. 10 minutes of "magic hands" & we were up & running.

90% of computer work requires a shaman. (-;

13 of 35  -   Report This Post

syzygy

27th February 2013, 07:50
Waiting for Aristo to weigh in with some wisdom. He said he saw it.

Some great clues. My fave: 11D. Also, 22D, 37D, but lots of others.

Not sure of parsing for 41A, 8D (Nova ?), 31D.

Any ideas?
14 of 35  -   Report This Post

rosalind

27th February 2013, 09:05
90% of computer work requires a shaman. (-;

Or, in my case, a son. Though even I have learned to switch off everything, remove battery, wait, replace battery and try again:-)0

Thanks syzzie. I doubt I will even finish it without help, but I always enjoy trying these.
15 of 35  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

27th February 2013, 09:36
For 41a Roxie (star of musical Chicago) inside PS(addition to a letter)?
8d nova lox (kind of salmon)?
31d don't know why vi should be removed from video as a hockey team is xi???
16 of 35  -   Report This Post

rosalind

27th February 2013, 10:04
My guess is that it's an ice hockey team, being Canada.
There are lots more in the team but only 6 are allowed on the ice at any one time, so I understand.
One of my sons used to play (juniors); I never dared watch.
17 of 35  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

27th February 2013, 13:11
I'm perhaps mistaken, Syzzie. I did think at first that it was simply the central x, or the whole "box", but "search" and "spot" gnawed at me. Of course "X marks the spot" implies that there's a "treasure", and perhaps in this case it's just a certain X you have to spot, and it so happens that there's an extra (X) X in Xerxes and Manx (and Xerxes is the only entry with an extra). Could that be what he means by "contents"? Treasure?

Treasure "Island"? :)
18 of 35  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

27th February 2013, 20:50
I'm sure you're right, Aristo -- and we all overlooked that one! Have sent off second attempt accordingly (it doesn't say you can't)!
19 of 35  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

27th February 2013, 21:08
I had also thought it might be the X in EXE- again, Treasure Island- but it just doesn't seem likely that so carefully constructed a puzzle would have another crossed X in it without some reason for it. I tried to think of some word that X stands for that transforms one of the answers into a different word, but couldn't come up with anything.
20 of 35  -   Report This Post