In addition, hi Ros, ab and Jazzy (thank you). Well guessed Ros and well linked ab. Below find my workings.
Hope they're not getting too complicated.
1. bed = bunk (bunkum); old = o; pilot = steerer; BUNKO-STEERER (N. Am) = a con man (Chambers D) = a shark
2. (crypt) net = BACK NUMBER = old-fashioned person (Chambers D)
3. close (v) = seal; a salesperson = a vender (vendor or vender; Chambers Dict); yielding “seal a vender” = SEA LAVENDER = (a salt-marsh) plant
4. subtractive anag (not & flying) of “airspace raider” – “a prairie”) = SCARED = chicken.
5. a return = a gain; sadly (anag) “puts” it = upst it; & “a return to the interior” yields:- up(a gain)st it = UP AGAINST IT = in almost desperate straits (Chambers D).