CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rh142

5th February 2013, 04:22
21d.
The superfluous word is 'soon.'

"game over" refers to a 3 letter name of a game that is to be entered "upwards" (ie it's turned over.)

The game might be rather obscure but if you think you have the correct answer enter the first 3 letters (reversed as per above) into Google and you'll find references to it.
21 of 41  -   Report This Post

mippy

5th February 2013, 04:26
aha, now it makes sense - thanks
22 of 41  -   Report This Post

livs

5th February 2013, 12:22
I had to look that game up, too - and a few other answers I'd never heard of.

Finished it, but I needed to really organise the clues and definitions otherwise I got lost. Does everyone do this, or do you just read through the clues and have answers leaping out at you, even though the definitions are in the wrong clues and there are superfluous words? (I was amazed that people got lots of answers, without even taking out the superfluous words.) I needed to do it really logically, one step at a time. I needed to know I wasn't wasting my time but was making progress towards the correct answers.

I'm wondering if that's (a) my background in ways of working which need to be organised and logical or (b) because I usually do normal crosswords, so I compartmentalise each clue and have difficulty letting the whole thing flow together.

I'm interested in the psychology of problem-solving and creativity. Would anybody like to tell me how they approach this type of puzzle?
23 of 41  -   Report This Post

ixion

5th February 2013, 12:56
I think 22A was the first one I had a "supposed" answer for...found a likely looking definition elsewhere and proceeded that way...I did go back and score out all the superfluous words and check the links between clues though, before submitting.
24 of 41  -   Report This Post

pendragon

5th February 2013, 17:42
Did anyone else get a delivery failure on submitting the crossword?
25 of 41  -   Report This Post

ixion

5th February 2013, 17:59
My entry seemed to go through OK Pendragon
26 of 41  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th February 2013, 09:13
Livs: I don't think you can have a method because each genius is different. For this though I had to write out all the clue numbers so as to see the order for the message, then print off the clues to mark out the spare words. Towards the end, I joined up definitions with solutions so as to view which definitions were left. I realised early on that the sirius solution must be altered and guessed the last word of the instruction. Then things began slowly to fall into place.
27 of 41  -   Report This Post

james

6th February 2013, 09:48
Can anyone help me parse 15D?
28 of 41  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

6th February 2013, 09:54
pendragon - did you sort it? I've just had delivery failure email too!
29 of 41  -   Report This Post

ixion

6th February 2013, 10:55
Animal feed starts it off James
30 of 41  -   Report This Post