CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dizoz

4th February 2013, 05:18
Just downloaded 116 !!!
Looks to be a puzzle of a puzzle of a puzzle.
"Chaotic", even. (take a bit o' doin').
will have a go !
1 of 41  -   Report This Post

james

4th February 2013, 13:08
Morning dizoz.

The trick is to figure out the subsidiary (at the same time removing an unwanted word). The answer goes in the grid at that clue's location. Then hunt through the other clues for a definition that matches.

I've managed half a dozen. Looks fun.
2 of 41  -   Report This Post

cmk

4th February 2013, 14:44
Hello all.

Anyone else found big problems with this?

I started off confidently and put in about half a dozen answers which complied with the instructions, but then it all fell apart.

The answer I have at 1down (my first solved) does not fit with my answer for 11 across, which I think should start with D, and be the definition for 24 across.

And the answer I have for 19 across doesn't fit with my 20 down.

and so on.

Do i need the further instruction produced by the first letters of the superfluous words in order for this to make sense, or have I seriously missed the point of the whole crossword?

3 of 41  -   Report This Post

ixion

4th February 2013, 14:59
Hi cmk...I'm in a similar situation...I suspect the clues may have to solved individually and the first letters of the "extras" applied.

My 11a doesn't fit with 1d(or my punts for 3d and 4d)
4 of 41  -   Report This Post

cmk

4th February 2013, 15:03
Thanks Ixion for confirming that I haven't lost the plot. I guess the trick must be to write down all the answers you manage to get, but don't put them in the grid till you've cracked the code.
5 of 41  -   Report This Post

livs

4th February 2013, 15:16
I took a look at lunchtime. I don't like these things where the answers are at one remove, so I wasn't going to bother, but then I came to the same conclusion as James did: I should identify and take out the subsidiary words first, otherwise it would mess with my mind too much and that's just frustrating and pointless!

What I did was to write out the initial letters for each clue in order, and I quickly spotted the last 3 words of the instructions, but at the moment I'm stuck on the first one(s).

I've tried guessing likely words, and I've tried combining letters, but without any luck so far.

Oh surely not... I've just looked at the list again and it leapt out at me!

Now to try the crossword. I may be some time...
6 of 41  -   Report This Post

noddie

4th February 2013, 15:32
Hi ixion

The further instruction primarily does not apply to all clues, but only 10 of them!

All done and submitted!

Good luck.
7 of 41  -   Report This Post

noddie

4th February 2013, 15:38
Hello cmk,

you need to work out the instruction for 11a and 19a

11a begins with R
19a begins with D
20d begins with U

hope this helps
8 of 41  -   Report This Post

cmk

4th February 2013, 15:46
Hi Noddie,

I have the answers to those, and I think the penny is just starting to drop.....

I'd just got the last word of the extra instruction, but I see it doesn't apply to all answers...
9 of 41  -   Report This Post

ixion

4th February 2013, 16:02
Thanks Noddie...I eventually spotted what had to be done (with some) though not very close to the actual message.
10 of 41  -   Report This Post