CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

22nd January 2013, 11:21
Good morning. So far, as a result of BT's line adjustment, I've not had any real problems on line. BUT, I still get the occasional 'drop out' of my connection and have to switch everything off (hub and computer) and boot up again, to get back on line. Good lick with this week's offering. John

I set crossies just for pleasure. I wonder if some of you excellent regulars would like to try a few of my clues? Since they're new, no letters!

Please withhold solutions till 5 pm (GMT) to allow others to have a go.

1. British to dump insane but not stupid clots (7)

2. Marvellous! It’s hidden (3,2,5)

3. An informal, yet intensive, discussion can take place around endless walks (4-2)

4. Whips grow weary with each one coming back to earth (8)

5. Communist Party and Hungary embrace in agreement about an empty tomb (8)

1 of 57  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd January 2013, 11:33
Hi jolan
Good to hear from you again - I'm surrounded by snow; how are you faring?
I have answers for 1 and 5, but have only partially parsed them, so they may be wrong. I'll keep thinking!
2 of 57  -   Report This Post

redundantelf

22nd January 2013, 11:46
Morning Jolan

Like chrise I am also snowbound - and hope you're neck of the woods is starting to clear a bit. I have got #2 straight off (I think) but as usual you have got my old grey matter trudging around. Hopefully I will have more by close of play.
3 of 57  -   Report This Post

andyc

22nd January 2013, 11:51
Jolan out for lunch (if I have a glass of wine I doubt I'll crack any of them). I'll look in later though and thanks in advance.
4 of 57  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

22nd January 2013, 11:57
Hi, Jolan!
Got 2 & 5 incl. parsing, will struggle on with the rest!
5 of 57  -   Report This Post

jolan

22nd January 2013, 12:07
Hi Guys (& Gals?)
GK. I was going to include "a few letters might be required for no. 5. Luckily I didn't! Very well done.
Hi Chrise. We had only Friday and Saturday with bad snow/roads. Now almost all thawed out and nothing further yet. Hope you are all safe and snug.
Hi, also, Relf and Andyc (hic!). Coincidentally, I also become the 'Master Solver' after a few drops of The Balvenie 12-year-old.

Off out for a while now. Happy solving!
6 of 57  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

22nd January 2013, 12:13
Got #1 now as well (one of your favourite constructions, right?!). Only 2 to go!
7 of 57  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd January 2013, 12:17
I did have #1 right, then - thanks, GK!
8 of 57  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd January 2013, 12:19
I think I have #2, if it's an expression more used in the US?
9 of 57  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

22nd January 2013, 12:23
Also amongst "in", "with-it" people in Britain, I think (or how do we say that? Young, alternative culture anyway -- you know what I mean -- def. US origin)!
10 of 57  -   Report This Post