CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

james

8th January 2013, 15:47
GK: djmghys@aliceadsl.fr
83 of 113  -   Report This Post

james

8th January 2013, 15:52
The last one that I can't parse is 25D. We are interested in the middle four letters. Google tells me there is a Jimmy xxxx. Never heard of him. Anyway, why "not half"?
84 of 113  -   Report This Post

ixion

8th January 2013, 16:01
Think of a steam engine
85 of 113  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

8th January 2013, 16:07
So do those 4 letters refer to the **** designer, ixion? Never heard of him, either, but he seems to be everywhere if you google him................
86 of 113  -   Report This Post

ixion

8th January 2013, 16:15
Indeed GK
87 of 113  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

8th January 2013, 16:29
Thanx once more for all your help! I think I'm there: now to find a way of submitting it. G. doesn't seem to bother about answering however much you flatter them for the quality of their paper, puzzles,etc. No wonder they're getting into such debt...............
88 of 113  -   Report This Post

james

8th January 2013, 16:45
Many thanks for 25D.
89 of 113  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

8th January 2013, 18:04
..........and many, many thanks to "James" for saving my bacon:just discovered with his help it was the latest version of Java Script that I needed to download & submit online! Thank God there are really helpful people on this forum!I know I should be happy to arrive at the solution, but it's even nicer to be able to send it off, even if the chances of winning are more or less zero!And I'm getting slowly addicted to Genius....................
90 of 113  -   Report This Post

livs

8th January 2013, 23:07
GK, I'm glad you got it sorted and submitted - does that solve all your problems with the Grauniad, or just with the Genius?

What browser are you using, because I downloaded and installed the latest java yesterday (repeatedly with restarts etc) and firefox said it was there and up-to-date, but the Gdn page for the Genius wouldn't recognise it, and neither would another website.

I tried google chrome but it fell over when I got the home page of the Gdn up.

I have no idea why this is so useless, or why the Gdn's own link to the print version was wrong. I see you played 'good cop' with the Gdn in your email. I'm afraid I played 'bad cop' and told the crossword editor it wasn't good enough. I haven't had a reply, either!

Hope you win the £100.
91 of 113  -   Report This Post

livs

8th January 2013, 23:27
Mozilla plugin check says I have

Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.100.18
NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy 1.7.0.10

Windows says I have Java 7 update 10

I found an older version as well, removed it and restarted the browser. The Gdn Genius page still says 'a plugin is needed to display this content' and invites me to install it - which I did yesterday. Nothing makes any difference. Is there some other step I need to follow? And why did a previous post on this thread suggest you needed an earlier version of java to make the Genius page work?
92 of 113  -   Report This Post