I am getting there slowly with and without your help - thanks! However really struggling on the following:
1. Banker has disturbing news with the letter that came back from Greece (6)
3. In a confused state, the bad aunt got rid of that blue flower (6)
6. Independent Bishop got together with a cowboy to see the banker (9)
7. Alternatively groan about a place – for Catherine (6)
8. On September 1st a German with energy runs through Helen’s favourite city (5)- is this something to do with TROY?
10. Plain girl in Virginia has come back outside (8)
11. … but in Paris she pursued doctors to get a drink (7)
12. Ordering a wild flower that goes along the border (3,6)
14. Best be leaving before everybody ultimately gets cross- in shade, perhaps (4)
16. Early World War 11 aeroplane at the penultimate airfield (5) - can't get this despite the clues but presume it ends in L
17. Hurry after Cape Doctor, for example, to get ship for Atlantic crossing (8)
Any subtle clues would be appreciated. Many thanks.