CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

peterm

1st January 2013, 11:49
Thanks Les and ab for all your efforts. So many good clues, but my favourites were Bullfrog’s 24ac (surely the pick of the answers for cluing, but so well done), ixion’s well-constructed 80ac, bobs mum’s 8dn for its clever misdirection and slh’s 41dn for a good anagram and surprising answer. My New Year’s resolution is to finally solve one of ab’s without having to wait for the wordplay to know why.

Happy New Year to all.
21 of 31  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

2nd January 2013, 13:03
rosalind: Of course ixion's evil. Haven't you ever done his Weekend Warm-up? He uses it to prepare us for hell.

peterm: Have there been adjustments to your shadowiness? We know (for example) that pastille is a naughty collectivist plotter, that ixion wrote his PhD thesis on Family Guy, and that THEA's sermons have got to be many-layered, but what do we know about you? I perhaps missed your tell-all post with downloadable bio. :)
22 of 31  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

2nd January 2013, 13:19
All done bar chrise's fiendish 78d - all the more annoying because somewhere in the deep recesses I was aware of the quote - and a blank first letter at 17a (I couldn't decide between A & H)
Favourites include aristo at 1d, bobs mum at 8d, ab at 42 (although I needed the parsing explained) slh at 85a, and, as usual, anything by that international man of mystery peterm.
Thanks for all who appreciated 24a (I'd love to say that I slaved long and hard over it, but I'd be lying) and thanks to Les & ab for the hard work. Is it nearly time for the next one yet?
23 of 31  -   Report This Post

peterm

2nd January 2013, 13:26
Wow. In 2 posts I've gone from "shadowy" to "international man of mystery". I'm beginning to feel like James Bond.

My life is an open book.
24 of 31  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

2nd January 2013, 13:31
Yeah, right.
25 of 31  -   Report This Post

redundantelf

2nd January 2013, 14:03
Have now just managed to finish the Christmas JE (albeit with some help from the wordplay).

So thanks to les40 and ab for their unstinting good work and to all the other contributors who are a very clever and devious bunch.

Thanks to peterm and bullfrog for the mention (loved your 24a bullfrog) .
26 of 31  -   Report This Post

ixion

2nd January 2013, 14:11
Thanks again to Les and AB for the time they put into this, thought this was the trickiest one...so far.
27 of 31  -   Report This Post

pastille

2nd January 2013, 18:55
Thank you Les and of course AB ....have to admit I only got half way through before reverting to look at the answers, enjoyed trying though.

Thank you for the mention Mr A, the original International man of Mr A....

A naughty collectivist plotter....I like it....I think?
28 of 31  -   Report This Post

pastille

3rd January 2013, 00:12
Mr A...get back to me....
29 of 31  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

3rd January 2013, 00:27
Very good, pastille- man of Mr A.
30 of 31  -   Report This Post