CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bobs mum

13th December 2012, 16:54
A very useful Auntie
11 of 36  -   Report This Post

rosalind

13th December 2012, 17:35
One of the best Christmas dinners I remember was smoked salmon sandwiches and champagne (chicken and Coke for the kids) in the woods behind our house. Yes, a picnic!
Second best, MacDonalds in Cairo (and no, I'm not joking. Waking up on Christmas Day to a view of the pyramids was fantastic.)
Maybe you could warm up Aunt Bessie's frozen Yorkshires on the BBQ, Bob's Mum.
Personally I hibernate.
12 of 36  -   Report This Post

bobs mum

13th December 2012, 18:03
Hi Rosalind, i am really contemplating the BBQ option-- but eat in the kitchen/ dinning room

jacket potatoes, beef, pork, Aunt you know who's and i can do extras on the hob and microwave---sounds good to me. Hibernation is good for the soul, i fully intend to have a 'pajama' day on Boxing day.
13 of 36  -   Report This Post

emrach

13th December 2012, 19:23
Good Evening
I have had a couple all though they won't interfere with Christmas day. On Sunday the radiator fell off the Bathroom wall and is now balancing on a couple of books and yesterday - while taking out the rubbish - I heard a hissing noise and it was like an ice rink. The pipe leading to the tap was gushing water and on trying to tighten the knuckle joint it completely burst. Had to turn off the water and phone an emergency plumber who was there for around 45 mins replaced the plastic joint - worth around £3 - and charged me £90,

Regarding Christmas dinner for the first time I am not having one. I am providing a light brunch around 12 - any suggestions would be gratefully received - and then everyone is leaving to go for their Christmas dinner to various places. I will be kicking off the heels and have what ever I fancy.
14 of 36  -   Report This Post

pastille

13th December 2012, 19:37
Hi all,

Emrach, back in September my daughter made me a special birthday cake...it looked like a frosted sweet delight....BUT...it was savoury.

Home made soda bread, sliced, layered with smoked salmon and capers, then "frosted" with cream cheese.

You could make this and adorn with Xmassy things.....fool them in to thinking they are only getting cake....mmmmwwwhhahahaa.

X
15 of 36  -   Report This Post

les40

13th December 2012, 19:41
Well Emrach, a couple of weeks ago I had a burst pipe in the bathroom at 3am in the morning, in the emergency I whipped out the Yellow Pages and called one of those 24 hour plumbers, he came out and set to work, after about an hour of banging and bumping I went upstairs to check his progress, he was sat on the bathroom floor 2 inches deep in flood water, he had knocked half a dozen tiles off the wall and dropped his hammer through the porcelain basin and smashed it to smithereens,
I said, 'for God's sake man, you've made a complete balls up of the job, how long have you been a plumber'
He said '24 hours mate'
16 of 36  -   Report This Post

pastille

13th December 2012, 19:42
....and talking of Christmas "disasters" we used to have an old Rayburn, and one Xmas the wind was in a very strange direction....that flaming turkey was in there for nine hours......arg!!!

Personally I love the BBQ idea....

Re oven...maybe try going on line....and just asking for help, we managed to fix our washing machine that way.
17 of 36  -   Report This Post

rosalind

13th December 2012, 19:54
Gosh Les that is truly dreadful. What was the outcome?

Emrach- the trad thing would be something like kedgeree, which I loathe!
A good soup (cheat and jazz up bought stuff), some rosemary and onion foccacia and, naturally, a cake! One of those gingerbread houses with melted boiled sweet windows if you have time. Also a fruit salad or oranges slices, some in Grand Marnier and some spiced.
18 of 36  -   Report This Post

emrach

13th December 2012, 19:57
Pastille loving the cake idea - can you imagine their faces!!!!

Les40 I thought i had it bad thats awful I hope your insurance covered it if the company didn't !!! Why do these things happen outwith normal working hours.
19 of 36  -   Report This Post

les40

13th December 2012, 20:02
Rosalind & Emrach,

You need to read it again, you may have missed the gag
20 of 36  -   Report This Post