CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

16th October 2012, 15:04
Thanks very much, jazzgirl - that sort of "shift" hadn't occurred to me.
11 of 33  -   Report This Post

angelmcm

16th October 2012, 15:46
Hello everyone. Truest you are all in good form.I found this week's pretty straightforward, especially as two of the clues, including the posh one pipesmoker, had clearly been written especially for we 'Frenchies'. Last to fall for me was 15ac, thought it a bit rubbishy but I found the rest fun. Beautiful sunshine and warmth here today after a weekend of torrential rain and flooding! Weather still all over the place.
12 of 33  -   Report This Post

cantersue

16th October 2012, 18:12
Hi everyone. All finished in about an hour. Liked 13d. Had to look up female sports presenter. 21a new to me. Agree with Jazzgirls's parsing of 10a. Weather very windy here today.
13 of 33  -   Report This Post

mondrian

16th October 2012, 18:21
Hello everyone and especially good to see angelmcm posting again. Glad the weather is so nice in La Belle France! It is not all that nice in Bonnie Ecosse!

By the way some of us (moi, for instance) have yet to buy the Radio Times but I am off to do that now. No doubt I will not be completing any Xword in 56 or 57 minutes! Well done to all of you who have.
14 of 33  -   Report This Post

wally

16th October 2012, 20:24
I found todays easy in parts and obscure in others, though much my own fault. I spelt the airport wrongly so had difficulty with the ghost. I parsed 5d wrongly so I was looking for a latin expression for “therefore”! Couldn’t see what private had to do with 15ac (I can now) I’ve never heard of 21ac. But it all adds to the fun.
15 of 33  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

16th October 2012, 21:22
Hi, wally. I had never heard of the word either, but that is the beauty of the cryptic crossword. First, you work out the answer, then you see if it is a word. Keep contributing.

Best wishes.

P
16 of 33  -   Report This Post

angelmcm

17th October 2012, 00:50
Thank you mondrian. It's always good to read everyone's news and views, and whilst I may not always be visible, I am lurking - probably because I have received my copy a little late. My buddy in the UK is usually so good at emailing me the crossword, but sometimes her technology runs into difficulty and then I have to wait for a hard copy Friday/Saturday. La Belle France remains belle, but a tad damp at the moment.
17 of 33  -   Report This Post

devonian

17th October 2012, 12:00
Hullo all - I've struggled a bit this week, certainly not in the 55min race ! I'm struggling with 5d "Therefore,made to covet quietly" *o*t*/v*e* & 15a " Grand final is expensive" *i*h/*n*, I've got some ideas but further clues would be appreciated
18 of 33  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th October 2012, 12:56
Hi devonian
5d is "SO" for "therefore", followed by an anagram (the answer is not, strictly, in English, but kit is well-known)
The other I thought was a bit feeble. Just find substitutes for the first two words to give "expensive" as a (near) definition.
19 of 33  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th October 2012, 12:57
P.S. have you admired(?) the new statue in Ifracombe yet?
20 of 33  -   Report This Post