CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

9th October 2012, 18:04
Super Djaw. Nice to see you and well solved.

Although well explained today, I'll still include my workings below. Once again, sorry for the word-count error.

1. cut short ‘the’ = TH; audacious = RASH; THRASH (colloq) = defeat.
2.(cryptic) FEET OF CLAY = faults of character not at first apparent [feet = supports]
3. not iced = NOTICED = marked
4. “escaping” = it’s “in” there. THE RATHER = all the more (Chambers Dict def. It’s under ‘rather’ and reads “the rather” = “all the more” [Compar of rath1; OE hrathor]) A new one to me! I thought it ‘fair game’ since it’s included in the clue.
5. SKIP = to cut (Ch. D); fish = GROPE (Ch & Ox thesauri); tack = PIN; and, tack brought in to .... yields SKIPPING-ROPE = toy (listed under “toy” in Chambers Thes)

I'm off to have my din-din now, will take a peek in much later.

Bless

John

Promise. No more counting errors (famous last words?)
31 of 39  -   Report This Post

andyc

9th October 2012, 18:07
Ah well never mind!
32 of 39  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th October 2012, 18:31
...and well done andyc for getting skipping rope (even though you were half asleep at the time)
33 of 39  -   Report This Post

andyc

9th October 2012, 18:34
Thanks Jazzgirl always attentive. It was my only, be it somewhat minor, contribution through my fuzzy eyes today.
34 of 39  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th October 2012, 18:39
ah yes andy but it was the trickiest clue .
Zzzzzz
35 of 39  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

9th October 2012, 18:40
I feel dense. I figured that toy was the definition and was working with
????PING ???? and it just never occurred to me- mainly because we always call it a jumprope. I'd even thought of jumping rope but of course the count was wrong (not to mention the wordplay). Duh. That pesky Atlantic again. Great clues as always, Jolan.
36 of 39  -   Report This Post

chrise

9th October 2012, 18:53
Thanks jolan
Got 2 and was nearly at 5 - a decline from last week, though. Look forward to next week. Thanks and best wishes.
37 of 39  -   Report This Post

tony

9th October 2012, 19:56
Thanks again Jolan.

I should have got #5 but I wasn't thinking of
Grope being a synonym for Fish and my battered
old BRB doesn't give it.
That's the beauty of crosswords, we are always learning.
38 of 39  -   Report This Post

jolan

9th October 2012, 20:45
Thanks Tony and everyone, especially Andyc who I missed having got skipping-rope, despite (or, maybe because of) the amber nectar.

Look forward to seeing you all next week. I'm off now to practice on my my abacus.

Good night, have a lovely week

John
39 of 39  -   Report This Post