CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greedy kite

1st September 2012, 14:39
Just one desperate call for help from Sussex so that I can post the thing here this time and have some tiny chance of actually winning (?!):for 19d I have D?S?O?T, clue "Hell! It's the wrong colour".Suppose it could be DISTORT (Di's tort)but would like confirmation soon, please!Thank you in advance.
21 of 37  -   Report This Post

rh142

1st September 2012, 14:44
Confirmed!

Dis = Hell
Tort = (a legal) Wrong

to Distort something could be said to Colour it eg description
22 of 37  -   Report This Post

livs

1st September 2012, 15:08
Only two left but I'm stuck (at least the anthropology bit of my degree finally came in useful, deacades later...)

10A Utter fool's ebbing interest P...I.E

6D Scoffed in compiler's absence? N...E.

I assume it's N...ED, and I thought of nommed, as in LOLcatspeak! (no me + what?). Or is it a word with 'i' or 'me' taken out?

ISAAC: I thought it was ISA + AC for account.
23 of 37  -   Report This Post

rh142

1st September 2012, 15:15
10ac Ebbing in this case means going/flowing back - so the answer when read from R to L reads as two words - synonyms for utter and fool. Interest is definition.

6d The setter here refers to a Guardian colleague of Picaroon. Scoffed is definition.
24 of 37  -   Report This Post

livs

1st September 2012, 15:20
Ah, I have them (with a slight detour where I thought the answer was nutmeg!).

Thank you!
25 of 37  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st September 2012, 15:20
I though 6d wasn't entirely fair, as you needed to have done other Guardian crosswords to solve it.
26 of 37  -   Report This Post

livs

1st September 2012, 15:22
Or you could work out it was a different Guardian compiler (like I didn't) and look them up here:

http://bestforpuzzles.com/people/the-guardian.html
27 of 37  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st September 2012, 15:27
Thanks for that link, livs - might be useful.
28 of 37  -   Report This Post

rh142

1st September 2012, 15:38
It's a great website - a mine of information.

In case you don't know it was created by Michael Curl - better known to us as Orlando.
29 of 37  -   Report This Post

mikey

1st September 2012, 15:41
6dI think it must be NOSHED, as this may mean SCOFFED, but I can't see that name on any of the Guardian Crossword compilers lists, so I am still none the wiser !
30 of 37  -   Report This Post