CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

25th August 2012, 14:52
I think there are only three anagrams of the 4 letter word - if two are in the grid, then the third one could be what we need?
31 of 39  -   Report This Post

barista

25th August 2012, 14:54
Got it.

Groups are 1a, 6a and 1d

3 letter at end 16a, 28d, and final across solution

And the other 3 give you the word to be written.

32 of 39  -   Report This Post

barista

25th August 2012, 14:56
Sorry that could be clearer. The 2 words we've found in the grid are, as expected from the marsupials / tumblers definition, the endings of the words in each of 2 sets. The words in the 3rd group of 3 can all be completed with another word, synonymous for our purposes with the 2 in the grid.
33 of 39  -   Report This Post

malone

25th August 2012, 14:58
I think my brain's seized up - I'm not seeing anything. Any hints/tips?
34 of 39  -   Report This Post

malone

25th August 2012, 15:04
Think I have it - a four letter word, which is a famous island if written backwards?
35 of 39  -   Report This Post

barista

25th August 2012, 15:05
You're already there -

You've got the word which acts as a suffix to give the definitions marsupials and tumblers in one group - that group is completed by another word (ie as defined) that can take the same suffix. The slight problem with the crossword is that the 3rd member of the group is defined without the suffix, while the definitions marsupials and tumblers include the suffix.

The second group comprises 3 words (as defined rather than as entered) which can take the other word you've found in the grid as a suffix. Chambers doesn't have the 1d definition-plus-suffix but it turns out to be a breakfast cereal.

The third group then take another suffix which means 'anagram' to people like us!
36 of 39  -   Report This Post

barista

25th August 2012, 15:07
No - I have an 8 letter word (a plural) which goes with singular theme word, sack and elite to create an implelement, a toy and an item of food respectively.
37 of 39  -   Report This Post

malone

25th August 2012, 15:17
Thanks, think I've got it - am just away to check.
38 of 39  -   Report This Post

malone

25th August 2012, 15:20
I made things harder for myself - I had put one word in the wrong list earlier today, and was looking at the wrong sheet of paper when I was checking things off! I'm glad we got it finished - thanks for your help.
39 of 39  -   Report This Post