CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

the joker

13th August 2012, 19:45
Phillip
Would you please take FruFru (alias GD ) in hand,to try to stop her posting on this site.

God knows what she will come out with concerning Trevor and yourself.I am just so glad that my hands are lily white here.
51 of 59  -   Report This Post

phillip

13th August 2012, 19:49
FruFru does have a nice ring to it. doesn't it?
52 of 59  -   Report This Post

frufrutrixibelle

13th August 2012, 19:50
TJ, I don't think phillip wants to take me in hand.
53 of 59  -   Report This Post

the joker

13th August 2012, 19:54
Phillip
Yes but a couple of sizes too small for me.
54 of 59  -   Report This Post

phillip

13th August 2012, 19:59
TJ, don't worry. I'll see if she wants to go out for a drink. perhaps I can get her to loosen up a bit.
55 of 59  -   Report This Post

allatsea

13th August 2012, 20:31
I have already stated what worries me about this site and it does not seem to be a widespread problem.

My interpretation of the name and rules is the use of the word help. To provide help is provide assistance, a means to an end but not to provide the end itself.
From the rules:
The Forum is meant to be a friendly place where participants chat and help each other with crossword problems so we ask that everyone respect this and join in sensibly with discussions.

Here's what Chambers and OED have to say:
Chambers
help verb (helped, helping) to contribute towards the success of something; to assist or aid. 2 to give the means to do something. 3 to relieve a difficult situation or burden; to improve or lighten (a predicament). 4 to provide or supply with a portion; to deal out. 5 to remedy; to mitigate or alleviate. 6 to refrain from something • I couldn't help laughing. 7 to prevent or control • I can't help the bad weather. 8 intrans to give assistance. 9 intrans to contribute. noun 1 an act of helping. 2 means or strength given to another for a particular purpose. 3 someone who is employed to help, especially a domestic help. 4 a remedy or relief.
OED
verb
[with object]
1 make it easier for (someone) to do something by offering one’s services or resources:Roger’s companion helped him with the rent[with object and infinitive] :she helped him find a buyer[no object] :the teenager helped out in the corner store
• improve (a situation or problem); be of benefit to: upbeat comments about prospects helped confidence sore throats can be helped by gargling

In other word help towards a solution.
56 of 59  -   Report This Post

phillip

13th August 2012, 20:36
all-at-sea, thanks for that. I feel much better informed but none the wiser.
57 of 59  -   Report This Post

jamoza

13th August 2012, 20:45
Haven't read all the posts in this thread but if I am ever in danger of drowning (all at sea, you might say) and I yell HELP!!!, please do not approach me with a handful of dictionaries and thesaurii - a lifeboat or something similar will be preferred......
58 of 59  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

13th August 2012, 21:21
oh hello allatsea, are you still here? or.....have you been here all the time (gasp)?
59 of 59  -   Report This Post