CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pendragon

8th August 2012, 22:31
OK. Finished now. Thanks.
61 of 92  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

9th August 2012, 08:14
Hi pendragon, sorry - just logged in and seen your posts. Nice conversation you've been having with yourself. Anyway, well done for finishing without any feedback :-)
62 of 92  -   Report This Post

livs

9th August 2012, 09:39
Finished (I think), but I can't parse the last one. And I wouldn't have made it without ixion's link: how useful!

3D - I have the 'sea ice' bit, but don't know why the end of the word fits 'just over 500 metres, about to rise'.

I know I could wait for the official answer, but I'll have forgotten about it by then and it's bugging me now!
63 of 92  -   Report This Post

livs

9th August 2012, 09:44
OK, I can see the 'about to rise' bit now. But not 'just over 500 metres'. That seems to be 2 letters. One L, also rising?
64 of 92  -   Report This Post

james

9th August 2012, 09:55
livs:

I thought just over 500 metres was something like "501 metres" or "DIM" (Roman). Anyway, it is indeed L*. There aren't many two letter words starting with L, so you should get there.
65 of 92  -   Report This Post

james

9th August 2012, 10:00
Thanx IXION for the wordplay at 10A. I got there by myself once I decided that "position" was not necessarily the definition.

I have finished the grid, but I can't justify the first three letters of my answer to 7D. I'm assuming they match with "nuts", but can't see it. Acronym?
66 of 92  -   Report This Post

livs

9th August 2012, 10:25
Ooooooh! I didn't think to look it up on that very helpful w/s. Thanks.

Does this help you in return, James?

7D 4-star, is, new - all nuts.
But I don't know why the soldier 'gets rejected'.

Or I may have completely the wrong answer :-)
67 of 92  -   Report This Post

livs

9th August 2012, 10:29
Or rather

7D 4-star, is - all nuts - new
68 of 92  -   Report This Post

ixion

9th August 2012, 10:33
James

That was other one I couldn't work out...assuming last 3 are new soldier gets rejected, the best I can come up with is...
ens(existence)=is, with nuts indicating unorthodox usage - not at all convinced though.
69 of 92  -   Report This Post

james

9th August 2012, 14:03
livs: I don't see what you're getting at with the 4-star thing. And yes, ENS is a real word meaning existence. Not really "is" though is it?

Come on IXION, explain "nuts" to us poor souls.

8-)
70 of 92  -   Report This Post