CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

janebb

29th July 2012, 00:49
les40 and aristo. I had a basically good education with a very Victorian homelife, a mother who was a stickler for grammar and it's sadly, or not, rubbed off. If I ever spoke grammatically incorrectly I'd be corrected; I now correct my grandchildren without thinking and I don't think they mind. Our language is beautiful. I do not like having inherited the pedantic trait.
31 of 40  -   Report This Post

syzygy

29th July 2012, 00:55
I agree with AJT. It should be a colon.

Talk about adding fuel to the fire!
Actually, it was in response to Les' query about capitalization. (6.65)

Rather ironic, eh, Aristo?

Tempest in a teapot. A 33D to all.

32 of 40  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

29th July 2012, 00:58
See Post 17. I too think it should be a colon.
33 of 40  -   Report This Post

janebb

29th July 2012, 01:13
Dear all, my last observation is that 'z' in capitalisation didn't exist in the Chambers English Dictionary pre 1965. It's crept into U.k. spelling and, I'm afraid, alien to me. Each to their own and modern dictionaries with americanisms are, I know, acceptable nowdays.
34 of 40  -   Report This Post

syzygy

29th July 2012, 01:22
I'm Canadian. We use Z.

Get over it.
35 of 40  -   Report This Post

les40

29th July 2012, 01:29
I sort of agree with some of what you're saying janebb, like I have mentioned before on here, I have a fair understanding of our language but when it comes to grammar, I am certainly not top of the class by a long chalk.
However, I must say that I can show fierce pedantry when I receive text messages from people with (what seems to be becoming the norm) text-chat or text-talk. What a load of shite it is, it's a different language and I can only see it being a disadvantage to childrens education in the future.

I myself sometimes use words like 'gonna' for 'going to' for ease and swift replies, but I'm afraid "C U ltr m8" just doesn't quite cut the mustard.
One point is though. We would (as crossword enthusiasts) be ignorant to not keep our eye on it because we will see a day in our lifetimes that will have some form of 'text-talk' written into a cryptic clue I'm sad to say. And that's the day the ballonn will have gone up for all of us.

The times they are a changing

But not always for the better
36 of 40  -   Report This Post

les40

29th July 2012, 01:31
That was meant to say 'Balloon'

It's a Reggie Perrin quote
37 of 40  -   Report This Post

les40

29th July 2012, 01:36
In fact, here it is and it's a great scene. Well worth a viewing.
It's my prize to the first Joint Effort completion by greedy kite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nxo0fS2VMM
38 of 40  -   Report This Post

les40

29th July 2012, 01:40

janebb

29th July 2012, 01:42
Dear Les40 et al. Thank god we don't play scrabble; would be a bloodbath me thinks.
40 of 40  -   Report This Post