CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

29th July 2012, 23:32
I did mean L or l (lower case). I had got the cats aristo, just stuck with the Liqueur clue

I see we now have a slight disagreement with this clue for (f) which fits in 19d.

I don't see O as hugs

I will parse the clue as I see it and see what you think.

The clue reads as follows.

Here's a liqueur - hugs and kisses - and something to carry it in (7)

Seeing as this is a US crossword, I see 'Here is a liqueur' as meaning a US place or US company, which my research took me to The BBO (Bennington Beverage Outlet)in Vermont.

BBO hugs (embraces) and = B(andBO + kisses = X/ and something to carry it in + Bandbox Def.

What do you guys think?

I would like to know if 'O' is a recognised meaning for hugs, or am I missing something?
21 of 32  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

29th July 2012, 23:46
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9n%C3%A9dictine

See sixth paragraph.

Signatures on letters and greeting cards are often followed by XOXOX (hugs and kisses).
22 of 32  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

29th July 2012, 23:47

les40

30th July 2012, 00:23
Cheers aristo, I had never heard of 'O' meaning 'Hugs' and that's why i questioned it really.
I stand corrected my friend.

There is a really interesting fact about Benedictine that I heard on QI which is a UK program with Stephen Fry all abour Quite Interesting facts.
On the program, it was revealed that Benedictine's greatest export is to Burnley which is a town near me in Lancashire. It goes back years as to why they still drink it.
I don't believe it aristo, I've just googled it on another page and it's brought up the same link as yours for Benedictine, so you can read about that a bit further down the page mate.

What a coincidence. Anyway, I'm working tomorrow, so off to bed.

Night all
24 of 32  -   Report This Post

syzygy

30th July 2012, 02:50
Looks as if you guys have it sorted.

@GK Don't think you're getting my e-mails.
I sent a couple of explanations & this about 22:00 Sunday (07:00 Monday your time)

http://www.bandbliqueur.com/

Did you receive that?

25 of 32  -   Report This Post

syzygy

30th July 2012, 03:00

greedy kite

30th July 2012, 11:43
Syzygy: all agreed, but no, i've not received any mail from youj for aq long time. i would assume you haven't got the right address as it's not happening with any others. To avoid publicising it here again Aristo has mine. Do you get mine, then? I'll try your "better" add. to make sure!
27 of 32  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

30th July 2012, 13:06
All clear, syzygy: your 2 mails had landed in my "indésirables"!Sorry! And the "perm" (hair-do) was easy for me, of course.Normal service will now be resumed................
28 of 32  -   Report This Post

syzygy

31st July 2012, 05:46
Good, GK, suspected that was the problem.

Probably because I sent something a while back with a Bcc (blind copy, to avoid revealing addresses).
Your filters must have flagged my address as spam.

I'll try a test before I go to bed; morning for you.
Look for a new thread in the next day or two.
Hope we can get this sorted out. Your messages arrive OK.

How was the Bacchanalia?
29 of 32  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

31st July 2012, 07:26
Yes, it was no doubt that "AnonyMous" long ago that triggered off the problem.
What Bacchanalia? We were only conjecturing, then it turned into a thing for fern-ologists, whatever they're called in Greek (I know, I should know, but what the heck.)
30 of 32  -   Report This Post