CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jws

28th July 2012, 20:29
where are my manners? many thanks to Pasty for the vote.
81 of 103  -   Report This Post

trevor

28th July 2012, 20:34
Bullfrog, i don't think anyone will accuse you of tactical absenteeism - although, you never know!
82 of 103  -   Report This Post

rambler

28th July 2012, 20:55
Two weeks ago I did a new intro with correct timings. In two weeks it has been corrupted, losing the heading and timings entered wrongly. This week a result has been declared with five contributors not voting. Please think about it before doling out the usual invective.
83 of 103  -   Report This Post

phillip

28th July 2012, 21:01
as the setter changes the "times" from time to time how can any time be said to be wrong. different,yes. wrong,no. In my view peer review was better over a day and a bit not two days and a bit.
84 of 103  -   Report This Post

rambler

28th July 2012, 21:07
I agree with you, phillip but paul invented the game and he extended the time. It's still true that voting time was changed to 8pm and this week changed back to 5.30. I am of the opinion that if a preamble works changes should be made as a postscript and not to the 'norm'.
85 of 103  -   Report This Post

phillip

28th July 2012, 21:12
Paul,should learn to let go and let baby breathe. Ixion, tonyw and me "invented" clueless but we don't try and control how it develops. these things take on a life of their own and you should let them.
86 of 103  -   Report This Post

rambler

28th July 2012, 21:24
Again I agree, phillip. However, it's a great game and deserves a stable framework so folks know what's happening. Five entrants not voting is not ideal. If people would forward their opinions I'd be willing to post a preamble reflecting those opinions if that's not too presumptious. I've put away most of a bottle of Shiraz at dinner so just tell me to bugger off if I'm out of line.
87 of 103  -   Report This Post

rambler

28th July 2012, 21:29
I think I was trying to say 'presumptuous'.
88 of 103  -   Report This Post

phillip

28th July 2012, 21:46
rambler, you are not out of line.
there are lots of things that could be said for or against any given suggestion. longer running period sounds reasonable enough, but then people say they won't be around to vote so can they vote earlier. voting before entries close is perverse AND doesn't sit well with the idea of not commenting on individual clues before voting opens (or is supposed to). but you'll never get a consensus because most people couldn't care less. you could try and steamroller through some format that you yourself and a few backers prefer. but that won't work in the long run either because someone will always make a tweak here and there.
it's not the most important thing in your life (I hope). so just leave it 'til next time you host it and make whatever changes you like. that is the setters right.
89 of 103  -   Report This Post

paul

28th July 2012, 21:48
Hi Phillip - a bit poignant as have spent most of the day in A and E with the the baby (pretty much OK now..) so couldn't vote.

I trnd not to be propriatorial about this, in fact I am filled with (parental) pleasure when I see it taking on a life of its own. I merely noticed that there has been a significantly higher turnout over the extended period - probably due to the increased leisure opportunities for some on Saturday, and Rambler very kindly carried on the experiment. Suggest we continue till Sat eve in the interests of catchment (inc US and Canadian participation) and let Clueless continue to be the 1-day wonder it truly is!

best regards,

Paul
90 of 103  -   Report This Post