CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

syzygy

10th July 2012, 05:24
Very interesting ...

Favourites: 11A, 27A, &
20A which was messed up initially by weird parsing & getting ASSAIL for 22A.
(L)ASS + (T)AIL.

Only miss, an easy one, was 32A. Go figure.
Not clear on 25A = Bully, & 9D expectant ...

Minor typo in 17d. I think you meant Fur trade.

Overall, some tricky clues. Wouldn't mind another one.

Thanks Les.
41 of 56  -   Report This Post

rosalind

10th July 2012, 08:45
I got 13 ac wrong as well as 21 ac, and had some help with bottom left hand corner.

Can't see the typo, Sygyzy, or is that a mild leg-pull? ;-).

Les comes from the NW, as do I. In Liverpool, the "Dance of the Sugar Plum fairy" would have been pronounced something like "Dunce of the Shugger Plume Furrie" Approx homophones!
42 of 56  -   Report This Post

rosalind

10th July 2012, 08:58
No idea why I wrote "would have been"! Scouse hasn't changed as far as I know.
43 of 56  -   Report This Post

rosalind

10th July 2012, 09:05
Must stop adding replies!
I read "Gripper" as the bully of "Grange Hill", a British school soap from the 1980s (? date)
44 of 56  -   Report This Post

les40

10th July 2012, 11:29
Whoops, Syzzie is right Rosa, I spelt it wrong in the wordplay explanation files,(Fir for Fur) I was rushing to get it done and didn't bother reading through it properly before sticking it up here. If you read my post, it says for mistakes to be pointed out for this reason, don't worry, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. Anyway, have a great day Rosalind, i'm off to work now, see ya tonight
PS; Yes, you're right Rosa . Gripper Stebson was the original played by Mark Savage (a fitting real name), but then the name seemed to stick for a bully. and now is anyone who is a bit of a bully or a muscleman who throws his weight about like pub bouncers and the such, Oh! and bailiffs. Basically, anyone who uses their weight or size to subjugate the less hefty folk. Or some people may refer to them as Wankers! or Shit houses. Excuse my French
45 of 56  -   Report This Post

lionheart

10th July 2012, 11:37
Les, you have email ;)
46 of 56  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th July 2012, 11:40
Just made a start. Love 22ac, but the pedant in me must point out that every actor that played the part was male!
47 of 56  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

10th July 2012, 13:12
Really enjoyed this Les. Unfortunately I can't get your solutions link to work - do I need some special dropbox application or something? In the meantime I'll just live in blissful ignorance and pat myself on the back for getting everything correct!
48 of 56  -   Report This Post

les40

10th July 2012, 21:29

les40

10th July 2012, 21:31
Ah Chris,

I knew someone would pick that up, however, if I had tried to work that into the clue, it just wouldn't have worked
50 of 56  -   Report This Post