CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

8th July 2012, 03:46
Morning folks,

Since starting the Joint Effort, I've noticed a few of the regulars have set triple defs as their clues. This got me thinking, and I've been working on a crossword over the last couple of nights, and come up with what I think is a completely new concept in crossword land.
An entire crossword made up of clues with three pieces of wordplay or defs leading to a common answer instead of the mainstream two pieces, made up of (usually) a definition and a piece of wordplay.
Anyway, here it is as a one pager with a short explanatory preamble. I feel that most will fill the grid quite quickly, but spotting the three different pieces of wordplay in each clue may prove a little more difficult.
I also feel it could be a good tool for people who are just getting into cryptics, helping to identify the changes within the clues.
So please give it a spin (try not to spoil it straight away, cheers)
It would be great if you guys could fire some feedback at me about your thoughts.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57742443/Les40%27s%20Triple%20Teaser.pdf

Cheers, Les40
1 of 56  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

8th July 2012, 09:05
Hi Les40, I've just printed this off and about to have a go at it. Looks intriguing. Thanks so much for all your effort - it obviously kept you up until the wee small hours.
2 of 56  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

8th July 2012, 09:37
Great fun! Very clever clues which often mislead (in a good way). I've done about half, but haven't necessarily worked out all 3 parts for all of them. Off out now, look forward to having another go before the tennis. Thanks again Les40.
3 of 56  -   Report This Post

les40

8th July 2012, 15:48
Thanks mrs trellis,

I thought it might be fun to do, I enjoyed doing the clues in this, but quite a few of them were buggers to make up and took longer than I thought. Glad you enjoyed it anyway, I thought it might have created a bit more interest, but oh well.
4 of 56  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

8th July 2012, 16:18
Now, now, Les, don't take it personally. I for one look forward to trying it. I saw it late last night and planned to print it when I got home from work today- won't be able to do it in one sitting though, I'm sure.
5 of 56  -   Report This Post

peterm

8th July 2012, 16:24
I'm sure it's good Les, and I will give it a go. Posting at 3.00 in the morning is not good for me.
6 of 56  -   Report This Post

les40

8th July 2012, 16:26
Cheers aristo,
Oh no, i'm not sulking mate, is that how it looked in my post. No, I just thought people must be busier today with the tennis and all that.
7 of 56  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

8th July 2012, 16:29
Tennis? What's tennis?
8 of 56  -   Report This Post

les40

8th July 2012, 16:29
Cheers peterm

I think you guys will find it a novel change, and don't worry, it ain't the style to take over the JE.
9 of 56  -   Report This Post

rosalind

8th July 2012, 16:44
haha Aristo. Tennis is ping pong with bigger bats.
Sorry Les, had no internet for nearly 24 hours but will try the new idea soon, when nswered all mails!
10 of 56  -   Report This Post