CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mrw

1st July 2012, 12:30
Morgana your absolutely right about nematodes, I'd forgotten all about them. I used them once on my potted fuchias which had some sort of pest can't remember now, but which a bit of research showed them to be treatable with nematodes and they worked a treat. Bit expensive though.
21 of 35  -   Report This Post

pastille

1st July 2012, 18:13
Thanks for all tips...heard good things about nematodes, but between the garden and allotment, could be pricey.

now only grow hostas in big pots with copper ribbon round the top, it works.

have built a pond in the garden this year but will take a while to establish...come on toads/ frogs.

...and yes emrach, born in Arbroath but now live in Bonnie Dundee...

22 of 35  -   Report This Post

rossim

1st July 2012, 18:46
No need to chop slugs up. Just a single small snip with scissors does the job. I throw snails into the road to await passing traffic.
Pastille, I was interested in the WD40 tip. Do you use it to kill them or as a deterrent? Any excuse to have a sniff though.I love it!
23 of 35  -   Report This Post

rosalind

1st July 2012, 19:13
I'll send a few froglets your way, Pastille. My pond is full of them since I put some stones for entrance/exit.
What I'd like is some dragonflies, they are so beautiful.Their mating habits are unbelievable
24 of 35  -   Report This Post

the joker

1st July 2012, 19:18
Rosiland I sometimes worry about you.(:
25 of 35  -   Report This Post

pastille

1st July 2012, 19:41
SECONDARY SEX ORGANS!!!

Well that is just greedy and totally unnecessary if you ask me...

Forty one shades of grey...well I never!I had no idea...

Was once in a pool in Portugal round about sunset and hundreds, probably thousands flew over just a couple of feet over the water...an amazing sight, truely wonderful.

Anyway, Yes Rossie please stick a few in a jiffy bag...many thanks.

Rossim...WD40...sprayed on the pots, not the slugs, unless me fancy a slow crawl round the garden sniffing an Arion lusitanicus.

Did you know they have 27,000 teeth and also eat worms!

Right back to JE....
26 of 35  -   Report This Post

emrach

1st July 2012, 19:44
Who would ever have thought that you sign on to a crossword site, chat about killing slugs and snails and end up googling the mating habits of dragonflies to find out they are sexual deviants !!!!!

....and apologies for the spelling on my previous post one too many vino's
27 of 35  -   Report This Post

mrw

1st July 2012, 21:01
went down to the allotment this afternoon and did some strimming with a petrol strimmer. Slugs do not like strimmers, they go to bits!
28 of 35  -   Report This Post

rosalind

1st July 2012, 21:20
Don't worry , TJ. I have studied dragonflies for several decades and not because of their somewhat bizarre habits.It takes all sorts.

If the aforementioned peculrities were not enough, as nymphs they use where the sun don't shine for respiration.
OK worry :-))
29 of 35  -   Report This Post

the joker

2nd July 2012, 00:19
Rosalind. Not surprised at all. More than a few on this forum use the same orifice to speak from,I sometimes think.
TJ
30 of 35  -   Report This Post