CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

leapy

30th June 2012, 14:11
Did you know snails are homing, if you throw snails into next door garden, they come back!!
11 of 35  -   Report This Post

ariel

30th June 2012, 14:23
I'm sure mine came from a garden centre - I wish they'd go back!
12 of 35  -   Report This Post

chrisg

30th June 2012, 14:23
ariel - This site has some suggestions on how to get rid of snails

http://www.angliangardener.co.uk/green_up_your_fingers/pest_diseases/slugs_snails.htm

13 of 35  -   Report This Post

mrw

30th June 2012, 14:27
Slugs,and snails come to that, do not like salt. They shrivel up and die. Alternatively you could go out at night and pick them up and bin them. Or if your not on good terms with your neighbour throw them over the fence, there is the chance though they may find their way back. The sad fact is once you have seen them they have already left the next batch in the ground. Building a pond and getting some frogs or toads is a good way frogs and toads love to scoff slugs, encouraging hedgehogs is also good as they like them too. Its like the moles though a losing battle.
14 of 35  -   Report This Post

mrw

30th June 2012, 16:02
Sorry pastille I seem to have killed it all off.
15 of 35  -   Report This Post

pastille

30th June 2012, 16:33
Hi...no I don' think you have killed it off, I personally am not usually around the site at the weekends.

anyway...SLUGS...I have tried...

Barrier methods...hair, coffee grounds, egg shells, sawdust and copper. Copper works well on pots, and seemingly giving a spray of WD40 works too.

We have too many birds to risk pellets.

As for the slug pubs, I do get a few, obviously the ones with a taste for booze, but there seems to be a lot of teetotallers about.

I have confessed to enjoying (probably a bit too much) cutting up the little ba----ds.

But, could not do the salt bit...too slow!

Today in true Blue Peter style I have fashioned a "Special Bird Table" but with no sticky backed plastic I'm afraid.

Firstly take a nice flat piece of wood, then staple copper ribbon round the edges....voila a sacrificial platter...mwwwaaahahah.

The blackbirds will love me...

Discussion re Robbie later, have to go now.

It was Hampden, and it was great.

See you later.....
16 of 35  -   Report This Post

pastille

30th June 2012, 20:54
Just bringing this up to the top ....just in case!

See you all soon

Pastille x
17 of 35  -   Report This Post

emrach

30th June 2012, 21:32
Hi Pastille

Don't know much about slugs and snails only that every sunflower has been destroyed and on a daily basis I hear the crunch as I accidently stand on snails. My dog has never attempted to eat any but oddly my cat likes to play with them. Watching Murray and it doesn't look good. Love the site and in total admiration of the cryptic minds even tried The Times crossword today and was extremely relieved to see many others found it difficult, personaaly it was impossible for me but certainly a learning cure. Hope you are well and with the Hampden mention would I be wrong to guess you are a fellow Scot.
18 of 35  -   Report This Post

rosalind

30th June 2012, 22:28
Hope you sleep better tonight, p@
I've had a lovely day, which started off completely blank. You just never know..
Don't dream of chopped slugs, there must be nicer things.
I wonder if AB is embarrassed?
19 of 35  -   Report This Post

morgana

1st July 2012, 08:49
Having tried every slug killer in the book, I obtained some nematodes, (which come in a sort of powdery mix, so no nasty wriggling to contend with). Mix the powder in a can then water into the soil. This releases the little beauties and the slugs lap them up, not knowing they will devour them from the inside. Thankfully, you cant see the end result (I think they ultimately 'explode') but you won't have any slugs for quite a while. Nematodes are not the cheapest solution, but by far the most effective. I use them for my hostas as it would cost a fortune to treat the whole garden. Sorry this isn't more scientific - I rushed into print without doing some internet searching on the whys and wherefores - but you get the picture.
20 of 35  -   Report This Post