CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

francis

7th February 2012, 13:38
Explanation:
U U U F RUC STRAY
11 of 57  -   Report This Post

torquemada

7th February 2012, 13:45
And the definition in those last two clues?
12 of 57  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

7th February 2012, 14:18
Dear Torkie: For someone who likes to point to rules you seem to have a great deal of difficulty with "do not make any comments on entries until after the winning entry has been declared". Since you have already committed the transgression, however, I will take it upon myself to A: point out that the definition part of a clue does not have to be a strict definition, but may (for example) highlight some trait that helps to identify the answer (in my own clue, this would be the expected strict adherence to conditions on the part of a usufructuary)- especially if the hinted-at anagram could hardly offer numerous possibilities, and B: that it is your clue that happens to be faulty, in that you seem to have clued USUFRUCT, which is the right, as opposed to USUFRUCTUARY, which is the person who enjoys the right.

13 of 57  -   Report This Post

helenb

7th February 2012, 14:36
Well I've done my best - here goes :

Factory loses round one and takes in senior for use, we hear, as honourary caretaker?

I know, I know!
14 of 57  -   Report This Post

lionheart

7th February 2012, 14:44
Curt type interrupting American university's rage about a person having fun at its expense (12)

RUCT (curt anag) in US+U+FU(A)RY = definition
15 of 57  -   Report This Post

paul

7th February 2012, 14:45
American army 1st unit, man down, with chaplain cut badly, harbours released general staying rightfully in safe house

(“American army 1st unit, man down” = US ARMY, U before, M down, “chaplain” = Fr, “cut badly” = anagram of cut, “harbours released general” = includes “U” (film on general release)
16 of 57  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

7th February 2012, 15:15
Squatter, usually no friend to priest, turns around court with a little grass (12)
17 of 57  -   Report This Post

torquemada

7th February 2012, 15:21
Aristo, I didn't comment on any clue (unlike you with mine), but simply asked a question to better aid my 15th century understanding.
18 of 57  -   Report This Post

ixion

7th February 2012, 15:36
Interest surrounding "cut a fur" method of land use enjoyed by the Chippewa(12)
19 of 57  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

7th February 2012, 15:54
Well, it's just that I've grown used to it, Torkie, having had my clues attacked on previous occasions, and I don't see how the query could be taken as "un-negative".
By the way, it does occur to me that "to pull a U-ey" may be peculiarly American; I believe one usually hangs one in Oz. It's of course a U-turn, and one that's often executed where it shouldn't be. Anyway, I think U-ey also works as a sort of term of endearment for the letter U (it's indeed a rather likeable little thing). Note: The online Oxford does give U-eys as the plural form.
20 of 57  -   Report This Post