CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wendy

30th January 2012, 09:28
How does everyone manage doing crosswords which are not set by people speaking that which is loosely termed as the "Queen's English"?

I was once told by a Scot that they only ever spoke "the Queen's English" so we have a theoretical problem already!

For example, in a recent American film, the actor said "I've been in the Army since I was born. Even my swaddling bands were khaki".

Now he pronounced it as "Cacky" which to me as a Brit would mean he needed his nappy changing!

So when it comes to homophones, how do, say Aristo and Syzygy and everyone else cope?

Someone, I think it may have been Greedy Kite recently used the word Loo or Looe as a homophone for Lieu which gave me great probs as I pronounce Lieu as "leeoow" - to my ear, "looe" is more American such as Lootenant.

Perhaps it would do me good to attempt to solve a crossword set by am American - to recognise that they use a "z" instead of my "s".
1 of 57  -   Report This Post

kilowatt

30th January 2012, 10:12
I see what you mean. I must admit I have never seen an American cryptic. I did have a bit of a problem with spellings in a quick crossword in an Americam magazine.
2 of 57  -   Report This Post

macmillanquizzer

30th January 2012, 12:59
I believe that the responsibility lies with the setter to ensure that there is no amgibuity. This can easily be done by alluding to the region or country in the clue. Thus "Nice-sounding French relative = NIECE" or "Our North Eastern conflict = WAR" for example.
3 of 57  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

30th January 2012, 13:47
American pronunciation is all over the place. Brits always make fun of us for saying "Noo York", but I for one don't. “New” rhymes with "mew", for which I don't say "moo". We New Englanders are ridiculed for our pronunciation (by other Americans, that is), especially for dropping our Rs, but, although television has "done a number on" regional speech, we poke fun at other New Englanders too. I can still often tell what part of Rhode Island or Massachusetts someone is from. When I entered the fifth grade, at my neighborhood public elementary school, kids from the northern part of my small Mass. town were in my class for the first time. I said "hahckey" for hockey; they said "hawkey". I said "pahnd" for pond; they said "pawnd". And then they’d switch-hit and say “Nuh Yahk”, and “cahffee”.
Further abroad, people in the Philadelphia area seem unable to pronounce contiguous consonants; they say "woof" for wolf, for example- utterly mysterious. The South, of course, might as well be on another planet, and one can hardly help drawling one's way into a pleasant lull when one is there. What seems especially odd to me is that I detect fewer differences in, say, Alaska than in many of the regions closer to mine.
What I find difficult about British crosswords (aside from the Scots thing, of course) is the very simple stuff. I'll see C????E and the word centre doesn't spring to mind; I instinctively look for a long vowel sound with one consonant before the E.
I've already posted this link here, but here it is again. The setters of the Atlantic Monthly "Puzzler" retired five years ago, but some of their cryptics are archived. They quite often, in my opinion, rose to the level of genius, without relying on Maori weapons and Andean reptiles. An utter joy.
http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/puzzler/puzzler.htm
4 of 57  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

30th January 2012, 13:53
They retired SIX years ago. We New Englanders can't subtract.
5 of 57  -   Report This Post

gvo

30th January 2012, 14:51
I aways imagine aristophanes sounding like Kelsey Grammar
6 of 57  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

30th January 2012, 15:01
As Frasier or as Sideshow Bob? I imagine you sounding like me- but with a western accent. Aren't you from my favorite outpost, Syracuse? Great theatre there!
7 of 57  -   Report This Post

gvo

30th January 2012, 15:07
Oh Frasier of course.
8 of 57  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

30th January 2012, 15:11
I have more hair than Frasier, but not as much as Sideshow Bob, and I'll never be quite the Savoyard the latter is.
9 of 57  -   Report This Post

ajt1

30th January 2012, 15:20
Wendy - Chambers gives accepted ptonunciation of "lieu" as either lu (french style) or loo.

Surely we each speak a different version of our mother tongue - that's why it changes all the time. I lived in Rome for a numer of years and whilst I was there I did a course on teaching english as a foreign language at a reputable school there. We were told to teach it exactly as we spoke it; eg if we say "I'm gonna do so and so" that's what we should teach. Not my idea of learning a language, as I like the basic structure of the grammar first, but a lot of people learn the language that way.

But then, we wouldn't be contributiong to this forum unless we were pedantic about words and proper usage, would we?
10 of 57  -   Report This Post