CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

blue moon

31st January 2012, 13:12
Me and friend went to Cape Town for a holiday and got friendly with 2 Isreali girl students. They were very intelligent and could hold a perfect conversation in English. One of them confessed to me later, that when me and my mate spoke together she struggled to understand a word we were saying (we are both from the Salford area and had reverted to all the slang terms). Nothing to do with crosswords, but it made me smile to realise how bad some of the English are at speaking their own language.
21 of 57  -   Report This Post

magworth

31st January 2012, 16:58
Do you remember Loyd Grosman, a New Englander who hosted Masterchef? Quite confusing when he said `Put the onions in the port` and `Wear your chef`s heart`! I`ve never heard anyone draw out vowels the way he did.
In America i talked to people who could not pronounce `squirrel` in two syllables. Try as they might, they could only say `squirl`.

22 of 57  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

31st January 2012, 17:29
I for one say squirrel with two distinct syllables, and often with a distinctive modifier. :)
23 of 57  -   Report This Post

pastille

31st January 2012, 18:38
Great thread Wendy...wonder if it will take on..."The Misuse of Apostrophes" proportions?

Hope so...that was good fun!

Back later,

p@
24 of 57  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

31st January 2012, 19:44
Magworth: My wife once came home from a youth soccer league meeting here in Massachusetts and told me she'd been rather surprised when the coach told the parents to bring the children to the first practice a bit early to get their shots. She was of course picturing the team lining up for inoculations, but then realized that the coach, who obviously hailed from some town just a bit closer to Boston, meant shorts.
25 of 57  -   Report This Post

les40

31st January 2012, 21:04
A SCOTTISH TALE

This is a story I heard about 20 years ago and it's mentioned on the web site below in the "Did you know" section about Sir Matt Busby declaring that his profession was a "Footballer"
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/archive/Sir-Matt-Busby-article815.html
26 of 57  -   Report This Post

syzygy

1st February 2012, 06:46
Wendy, re American cryptics. Very rare on this continent.
Thanks to aristophenes for posting the link to The Atlantic magazine. They dropped the puzzle from the hard-copy & it was only available for on-line subscribers. Perhaps it's totally gone now.
The latest I found was this:
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/coma/images/issues/200803u/maypuzzle.pdf

However, Harper's still publishes theirs.
I'll try to post it with "Dropbox" or "Google Docs".

27 of 57  -   Report This Post

kiwikid

1st February 2012, 11:58
Spent ages staring at the Washington Post online puzzle yesterday...4-letter word for 'aroma', second letter D. Then the penny dropped: ODOR. I still think it looks funny though!
28 of 57  -   Report This Post

magworth

1st February 2012, 13:43
I have a good friend in Florida - we met when I helped her with a travel problem on Cambridge station, over 30 years ago. We e-mail each other every day. I`ve visited her, she`s visited me and we visited Holland together. I enjoyed a Scrabble game with some of her friends - we used a special bi-spelling dictionary! M.
29 of 57  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

1st February 2012, 14:01
Syzzie: You really got my hopes up. I subscribe to The Atlantic, both online and hardcopy, and I thought I might have been missing something all these years by not looking for the Puzzler in the online edition. In 2005 there was an announcement about the setters' retirement, but you posted a puzzle from 2008, which I certainly never saw. I logged in and keyed in "puzzler", and what came up was the archive I posted above. Very mysterious. Where did the 2008 puzzle come from? I do recall that for some time it was only available online; even that was a disappointment.
Kiwikid: I clearly remember having the same experience with ODOUR! One of those epiphanies that cause you to whack your forehead.
30 of 57  -   Report This Post