CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

polly dee

21st January 2012, 16:09
Answers are either plants or rivers !!!
Please help if you can - there is not much time left before it has to be in !!!
67. Charlie, taken by mouth initially - rely on ones testimoney, or check identification? (9,6)
71. Greece substitutes the final bill in payment for support. (8)
73. Steps often taken with reels (10)
76. This hawk is tiny in the margins of treated material. (6,5)
Hopefully someone will be able to help - thank you !
1 of 31  -   Report This Post

perplexed puzzler

21st January 2012, 17:06
I can help wth 71) American word for payment to a divorced wife - change the 'l' in it for the 'Gr' of Greece.
Don't have the others.
Do you have 1,9,16 or 26 please?
2 of 31  -   Report This Post

polly dee

21st January 2012, 19:29
Thanks P p. I am finding this quiz the most difficult I have attempted ! I have sort of guessed a couple of the ones you mention but I am not at all sure of either of them !
1. Another word for ling
16. Cant do a clue but I have Lady's Mantle
As I said, these are purely guesses - sorry!!
3 of 31  -   Report This Post

perplexed puzzler

21st January 2012, 22:05
Thanks - I was thinking along similar lines for both those, and am now satisfied with 1) but still stumbling around with 16)Can't see how the clue works at all if it is Lady's Mantle. I'm finding it very hard too
4 of 31  -   Report This Post

andyc

21st January 2012, 22:10
P.P please can you post the solution to the Gazza clue when this puzzle is finalised?

Thanks

Andy
5 of 31  -   Report This Post

perplexed puzzler

21st January 2012, 22:17
Yes, will try to remember to do so. No joy with that one yet.
6 of 31  -   Report This Post

perplexed puzzler

21st January 2012, 23:18
Was wondering if anyone could get this one.
98) Was tolled once in sight of Bell Rock 3,6

I now know a considerable amount of the history of Bell Rock and its lighthouse but can't find the answer.
7 of 31  -   Report This Post

lady bee

22nd January 2012, 10:07
I can offer an explanation for No.16 It's an anagram of CAMILLA HELD to give ALCHEMILLA but leaving out the 'D' because of no final demanD. The common name for Alchemilla is Lady's Mantle and the mantle = cloak. Wish I could help with the others. Also read reams about Bell Rock including pages and pages of a poem, all of which got me nowhere.
8 of 31  -   Report This Post

lady bee

22nd January 2012, 10:10
I've guessed at No.26 but looking at it again now, I think it's okay. The prototype garden was the Garden of EDEN and there is a river EDEN.

Can anyone offer some help with No.50 please? I'm sure it's Field something but I can't get the respectable male Scotsman.
9 of 31  -   Report This Post

polly dee

22nd January 2012, 14:01
Well done Lady Bee !! I have actually got 50 without guessing !! You are right with field - the first 4 letters of next word - another word for respectable male and the last 3 letters are a typical scottish male name. Hope this helps !
Can you help with 37 - I think the first word should be red. Also, what about 62, I think the first word could be mossy but I cant get any further !!
10 of 31  -   Report This Post