CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

peterm

18th December 2011, 17:31
I know it's early days, and I'm not looking for answers, but I'd be interested to know what the AZED regulars make of 27ac and 21dn. If I've got the answers right, I don't think they can both fit in the grid because they do not share the same checked letter. I also think WN21,22 should read RL21,22.
1 of 105  -   Report This Post

cmk

18th December 2011, 18:21
peterm

I've only just made a start on this - the 'easy' clues - but I agree with you about21 & 22 down.

I haven't solved 27 across yet, but as it's a 'misprint' would that explain the non matching checking letter? Or is the misprint in the clue?
2 of 105  -   Report This Post

ixion

18th December 2011, 18:27
I've just printed this off Peterm - looks interesting.
3 of 105  -   Report This Post

peterm

18th December 2011, 18:41
cmk - by my reckoning, the cryptic part of 27ac will give you a word - not a real one - that would synch with the answer to 21dn. You modify one letter of the answer to 27ac to give a real word. As far as I can see, the letter to be changed can only be the one that checks with 21dn, and that's where it goes wrong. All the answers in the grid, apart from the Playfair ones, are real words. Of course, I may well have got this completely wrong, but I can't see where.

Hi ixion. Yes, it's a fascinating puzzle. I've got to the hard bit now - trying to work out the Playfair square. I've got no idea just yet.
4 of 105  -   Report This Post

cmk

18th December 2011, 18:48
I see, Peter, though I haven't got it yet (27 ac).

Am I correct in assuming from the rubric that the Playfair square uses three of the answers in the grid. I guess they would need to form a phrase to give us the word order. I'm sure the title of the puzzle is a clue as well, but can't think what it may be.
5 of 105  -   Report This Post

peterm

18th December 2011, 19:08
Sorry cmk, I haven't cracked the Playfair square yet, but what makes you think the code phrase might include words from the grid?
6 of 105  -   Report This Post

cmk

18th December 2011, 19:21
Peterm - maybe I'm going completely mad, but the rules say 'In a Playfair word square the code phrase (of three words in this puzzle), in which no letter recurs...'

Actually, I think I am misinterpreting it - I guess it just means there are three words in the phrase being used in this particular puzzle. I only twigged that as I was typing this. Thanks for the jolt or I'd have been up the swanee.
7 of 105  -   Report This Post

peterm

18th December 2011, 19:28
I see your point cmk. I hadn't noticed that, but I don't think it can mean 3 words from this puzzle. If it does, it's a very strange phrase!
8 of 105  -   Report This Post

cmk

18th December 2011, 19:32
I reckon the title is a seasonal (?) three word phrase that has been playfaired, but nothing springs to mind.
9 of 105  -   Report This Post

ixion

18th December 2011, 23:57
Peterm, I've got far enough now to definitely agree that WN21,22 should read RL21,22 - still corrected online though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playfair_cipher gives a clearer explanation of the Playfair word square.
10 of 105  -   Report This Post