CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

phillip

15th December 2011, 14:39
THEA is clearly an institution of this site or should be in one. The clues to the keywords were pretty straight-forward with a couple of exceptions. No9.... i can't see why the U in "would" is replaced by R(right). No12. The words "great uncles in law" mean nothing to me; but the 1st letters of "mainly eating nuts" do.

As for the rest of it.

1. list all the keywords in alphabetical order = A A B C D F H J M M M P T W W.

the 1st eight are A to J. wth E G I missing. the ensemble thing is meaningless to me so EGI doesn't suggest anything to me.

the last seven are MMM P T W W. so N O Q R S U V are missing from them (KL & XYZ are irrelevant). some of these letters make the word "SON" which is definitely a relative part of the story.

THEA, can I make a suggestion. All of your thingies are multi-part. but the problem is that you have to solve each part totally to move on. If you can't do that you may as well pack up. perhaps you could set a closing time/date for part one whatever and then give further clues/answers as you see appropriate. that way people will know that they can move on in the certain knowledge that they are right so far.
have a nice day now.
21 of 28  -   Report This Post

theambler

15th December 2011, 21:12
Hi there
The time has come (I borrow the walrus's erudition)
Thanks for all helpful comments, nearly all of which I accept!!!!! and will remember in 2013 ( or maybe next year)
Two puzzlers----
9 orb=definition
Would do = would
axle= centre letter
right= R
12 Great uncles in law= devious group of MEN

PART the THIRD
YES In the first eight answers E,I,G are missing from initial letters
And in last seven sundry others(From which you could make SON ( who is a relative!!) and part of the story
E,I, and G were to suggest a chart-topper by the Michaelangelo Gabrielli Ensemble.
So a song by the angels(Micky,Gabby not to mention Raff and Uri!!!)
E,I,G Well G,I,E ===Gloria In EXcelsis

(Groans all round)
Seriously I hope some of you got alittle pleasure and not too much pain.
I really enjoyed putting it together.

I HEREBY PRONOUNCE
PHILLIP IS THE ONE AND ONLY ONE
(So he gets excused the next ten puzzles)
(Dont mean that P)
May I and Mrs Thea wish you all and your loved ones a very happy CRIMBO and a sobering New Year
22 of 28  -   Report This Post

julie, aberdeen

15th December 2011, 22:52
Thea .. what can I say - thank you for all your efforts - it must have taken you ages. This is the first time I have been totally unable to participate. I think I must be telepathetic not telepathic. I still remember "Thingy 2" (15/16 July), which was a hilarious team effort with Sallyw, Pastille, Wendy and The Joker... think we had to work out the square route of a number you'd thought of but we didn't know - the girlies didn't win - other things to do ? Have a lovely Christmas and a special one for Mrs Thea -
What a woman !
Cheers
J
P.S. Is Phillip related to you ?
23 of 28  -   Report This Post

wendy

16th December 2011, 08:17
THEA, jolly well done - now that I've seen the explanation there's absolutely no way at all I'd have had the merest inkling of how to tackle it!!

So, my heartiest congratulations to Phillip - the Genius in our midst.
24 of 28  -   Report This Post

rosalind

16th December 2011, 20:20
I realised you were probably cluing the choir of angels, but still never thought of Gloria in Excelsis.
Great puzzle, thank you
25 of 28  -   Report This Post

theambler

16th December 2011, 22:38
Hi Julie, Wendy, Rosalind
Thanks so much for your kind interest
I do feel that its me v. Phillip, theres nothing personal!!!!!
No Phillip and I are not related - Do we look
alike. Rambler and I might be!!!
( When i had sorted out the 15 keywords I was intrigued to see that E.I.G were missing.
It gave me an unexpected DIMENSION to add in.
And luckily I could find a useful word in the last seven.
Hope that you have all got everything under control for Christmas.
All the best to you and yours
26 of 28  -   Report This Post

ixion

17th December 2011, 01:30
I must admit Theambler, I have looked at all your previous extravaganzas and been immediately dumbfounded - I am determined(New Year resolved) to make a decent effort in January!
27 of 28  -   Report This Post

theambler

17th December 2011, 10:53
Hi Ixion
Thanks for your post
See you in the Neue Jahr ( sometime??!!**)
thea
28 of 28  -   Report This Post