CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

2nd December 2011, 18:06
Magworth
I possibly have a new name for you - Polly Garter!
My late husband was from a little village in Wales (Llangeitho) and he could say "starless and Bible Black" slower and better than R.B. (at least I thought so!)
Very clever of you to write a dissertation :)
J
31 of 49  -   Report This Post

magworth

2nd December 2011, 22:52
Thanks Jazzgirl ! Not clever - just a perverse desire to be different ! Fellow students were mostly writing on J.Austen and the Brontes.
Some of DT`s language is obscure tho` - I found it difficult, but rewarding.
32 of 49  -   Report This Post

magworth

2nd December 2011, 22:57
PS Jazzgirl. I don`t mind Polly Garter, but wouldn`t like the house-proud one - was that Mrs Organ Morgan? She polished the lawn to make the birds slip. And said `Before you let the sun in, make sure he wipes his shoes`! M.
33 of 49  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

3rd December 2011, 08:07
Good morning Polly
It is breakfast time in Mrs Wllly Nilly's house (that's me) looking forward to steaming open the mail (not mine)
I think it was Mrs Ogmore-Pritchard (a bit like my mother) over-fussy with the cleaning.
I am going to enjoy reading UMW all over again this weekend.

J
34 of 49  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

3rd December 2011, 08:40
Jazzgirl:

Now you've started something... I've found that I can buy a BBC Audio CD for merely £7.02 - courtesy of Amazon - and it's the All-Welsh cast of 1954. Yes, I was a year out in my previous post but you and Magworth were kind enough not to correct me!

Have a good weekend.

With best wishes,

Caravaggio
35 of 49  -   Report This Post

magworth

3rd December 2011, 08:54
`Morning Caravaggio. You credit me with too accurate memory - I didn`t remember the year !
I too must re-read UMW. I have just about everything DT wrote or had been written about him - in 1970! (I was a mature student). Sadly, his initials are appropriate.
36 of 49  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

3rd December 2011, 09:01
Good morning caravaggio
I did not know the exact year of the recording, but thought it to be 1953.
It's odd how one character in a crossword has lead to such an interesting discussion on something completely different.
Have a pleasant weekend. Best wishes
J
37 of 49  -   Report This Post

navigator

4th December 2011, 15:54
Hi folks,
All Polly Garter's past, however naughty,
would have been readily forgiven by the Reverend Eli Jenkins provided that the musical aacompaniment was excellent.
Did DT originally call the town LlareggUb
rather than LlareggYb?. (A change to alter
the reverse spelling).
Best wishes,
N
38 of 49  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

4th December 2011, 16:29
Good afternoon Navigator
It's good to hear from you and I trust you are still doing well.
Magworth would be better than I at answering your question, but I understand the name Llarragub was first used by DT for the name of a "sow-faced woman" in one of his short stories. In some of the early editions of UMW the name was changed to Llaregyb (against DT's wishes)
I am so enjoying re-reading the book.
Best wishes to you
Mrs Willy Nilly (Jazzgirl)
39 of 49  -   Report This Post

molly

5th December 2011, 14:29
Can anyone please give me hints for 6d and 19d so I can tackle no.50 tomorrow having resisted the temptation to begin it "early"
Have pondered these 2 long enough! Thanks.
40 of 49  -   Report This Post