CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

magworth

29th November 2011, 18:53
Torvic. I`ve got `coil` (a ring). Did you mean that `oil` is the sound of a bell? That`s a new one on me ! Thanks, anyway. M.
21 of 49  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

29th November 2011, 19:10
Hi Magworth
I've not seen RT50 yet, but from what torvic has written, I would say toll ?
22 of 49  -   Report This Post

torvic

29th November 2011, 20:55
Yes that's correct jazzgirl, the clue is "Cost in lives of ring (4).
23 of 49  -   Report This Post

magworth

29th November 2011, 22:04
Hi Torvic and Jazzgirl. Of course ! What an idiot. I was trying to make something from the letters in the clue - cost, lives, etc. Thirteen latter clues - no problem; four letters - useless!
Many thanks both. M.

24 of 49  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

30th November 2011, 20:45
Good evening all,

Isn't it amazing how your memory can play tricks on you? I was convinced that the compiler had got the spelling of the surname of the character in 11a wrong. I was certain that it was the traditional four-letter spelling. Wrong! Have you noticed the new prizes for the Wordfinder competition and is the compiler poking fun at us?

With best wishes to you all and particularly to those of you who aren't well,

Caravaggio
25 of 49  -   Report This Post

wee jock

1st December 2011, 01:29
HOWDY FOLKS
Greetings All and Blessing on those who are sick or heavy laden.
Well now, surely no one could say that RT49 was a walk over,or maybe they could. I myself found it a good challange and enjoyedmost of the clues like 9,11 and15ac,
and 1,3 6 and 21d. 20d was the last to go.
Surely 13d is just a version of the old con trick Find the Lady.

I like this compiler,his clues are sharp,witty and he or she does'nt use ten words when two will do.Good on him/her!

OOPS!I didnt think it was so late.

GOOD NIGHT
NUFF SAID
WEE JOCK
26 of 49  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

2nd December 2011, 13:00
caravaggio
I also had in my mind that the surname of the beggar was 4 letters, like the Welsh Mr and Mrs P*** of "Under Milk Wood"
Apparently the 3-letter name was taken from a John P** buried in the local churchyard.

Wee Jock, I agree this compiler had some clever clues .
old gal - Hope you are doing well. No sign of you yet so I am guessing you have finished 49 .
Best wishes
J
27 of 49  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

2nd December 2011, 16:48
Jazzgirl:

That's very interesting and you may be interested to know that I had the 1953 BBC recording of 'Under Milk Wood' as a boxed set [of two vinyl LPs] and gave it away to a student... Admittedly, I had the whole play recorded on to tape but my altruism, on occasions, surprises me and I must see whether that recording is now available on CD.

With kind regards,

Caravaggio
28 of 49  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

2nd December 2011, 16:51
caravaggio
I have the Richard Burton version on cassette !! I love it.
J
29 of 49  -   Report This Post

magworth

2nd December 2011, 17:58
jazzgirl and Caravaggio. I love the R. Burton version too - Dylan Thomas could not read his own work well at all.
I once said to a neighbour ` Nothing grows in our garden except babies and washing` but she didn`t `get it` !
I wrote a dissertation on Dylan T.
30 of 49  -   Report This Post