CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

terry

24th October 2011, 15:47
Do you not believe the people on this site are capable of answering your questions?
11 of 25  -   Report This Post

chelle

24th October 2011, 15:53
what's the harm in asking as many people as possible? It's not a competition...
12 of 25  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

24th October 2011, 16:12
I sincerely do not understand your protest,Terry: sometimes a question remains unanswered for a relatively long period on either of these forums. That has nothing whatever to do with lack of confidence in the participants. Maybe I'm a little impatient sometimes,that's true; but in this case I really wondered whether anyone could give me the full explanation about the change in meaning, and indeed there has been no such reply as yet --- probably not surprising,as not everyone is so fascinated by etymology as me! Hope you now follow a little better --- and no hard feelings, I hope!
13 of 25  -   Report This Post

peterm

24th October 2011, 16:26
Lots of people post questions on both sites. It's no big deal.
14 of 25  -   Report This Post

ab

24th October 2011, 16:37
Re capon- don't know if it helps, greedykite, but found reference to Capon - Middle English capoun, from Old English capūn and from Old French capon, both from Latin cāpō, cāpōn.
So perhaps the double meaning existed for both?

15 of 25  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

24th October 2011, 16:49
Thank you,AB: let's keep on the trail! One theory might be that the letter-writing lover should have no chance,and is therefore castrated --- but that's only guessing!
16 of 25  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

24th October 2011, 18:09
Good evening all
Capon and poulet (both French words used for "love letter".) originated from the custom of folding love letters in such a way as to resemble a chicken (with two points showing the wings)In Shakespeare's Henry IV , the King, when discussing his forthcoming marriage says that one particular suitor "preferred her poulet on paper more than in a fricasee", Thackeray also uses capon as love letter in Vanity Fair. Enjoy your chicken dinners all !
17 of 25  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

24th October 2011, 20:23
That's fantastic,jazzgirl!I wouldn't have known how to discover that! Just goes to show what an excellent "Brains Trust" this forum is!
18 of 25  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

26th October 2011, 20:47
The subject continues to fascinate me! Jazzgirl,apparently there was also the habit in France of sending love-letters concealed in chickens to the loved one! I have just read a long corresponence in French on the matter,largely scurrilous of course,which I found through further googling!So watch out next time you're given some kind of fowl:perhaps more worth searching through before eating than the old sixpence in the mince tart!OK, I'll shut up now....but thank you again for your assistance. gk
19 of 25  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

26th October 2011, 21:20
Greedy Kite, Bonsoir mon ami.
Well, the intrigue grows. So I am now most anxious to meet a gentleman presenting me with a chicken. There is one problem, however - if the chicen is uncooked, the letter would be a little malodourous; if the chicken had been in the cassoulet, the note would be totally illegible. Mon Dieu. Quelle probleme. Will I sleep tonight worrying over such!
I am retiring for the night now, but who knows what may arrive at my door demain.
Sigh.....
20 of 25  -   Report This Post