CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

julie, aberdeen

14th September 2011, 18:20
Hello Les40,
All clear from me, I have finished...er enjoying it ! I can't afford the time... but intrigued to see the solution. Like you better than Tim Moorey! Keep up the good work. Thank you.
J
21 of 34  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

14th September 2011, 18:43
Many thanks,Rambler,for the explanation:I suspected exactly that,but couldn't remember the "hidden link".A propos,do you happen to know an even more complete list of CRS than I found by googling?The subject has always fascinated me (unique in Europe,as far as I at least know),and although a German pupil once brought me back from London a very entertaining little paperback on that theme,maybe you know a really exhaustive publication on the same phenomenon.I presume the list is virtually infinite,assuming innovations continue to be made,but would be grateful for any tip to satisfy my rather perfectionist thirst for further reading!!!
22 of 34  -   Report This Post

rambler

14th September 2011, 19:12
I'm sorry, gk but I know very little about it. It is fascinating and the bits I've heard over the years must have stuck. Some have passed into general use like 'butchers' for 'look' (butcher's hook) My favourite is 'trouble' for 'wife'(trouble and strife)
23 of 34  -   Report This Post

les40

14th September 2011, 21:14
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18643289/Notes%20for%20crossword%20mezz.docx

Evening guys,

Here are the explanation notes for the crossword as promised, hope they can be of help, if not, just post back any queries and I will try and expand on the explanations.

Wendy will have to resist having a peek...Ha ha
24 of 34  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

14th September 2011, 23:30
Thanks for that Les -- seeing the explanations makes the clues all the more impressive. I'd pitch that as a Thursday or Friday Guardian, which I think is pretty good going. Thank you for sharing it.
25 of 34  -   Report This Post

therogue

15th September 2011, 12:29
Hello Les
Just having a look through your solutions dropbox. Regarding your Lazio clue, I figured the 'N' by using the abbreviation for number (No) and relating it to 14ac. Skimp 'No' (lose the 'o').
26 of 34  -   Report This Post

julie, aberdeen

15th September 2011, 13:58
Hi Les,
Many thanks for your most detailed analysis -how could anyone have gone wrong ? It was the SW corner that baffled me and I spent a long time researching "mythical beasts" - mainly greek...when all the time it was Nessie - who of course is not "mythical" at all!
Lots of fun - thanks again
J
27 of 34  -   Report This Post

jws

15th September 2011, 20:30
Hi Les,

thanks for the crossword. I particularly enjoyed 8 down as I went for the obvious and got it wrong. Even when I had the right answer it took a moment for the penny to drop. Look forward to the next one
28 of 34  -   Report This Post

les40

16th September 2011, 22:55
Thanks all for the positive feedback,

Therogue - so that's another way of getting the 'N'

jws - I am still compiling grids, but I am working now and studying for some qaulifications too, so don't get as much free time to work on the clues, but if your interested, I still have the grids from previous posts in my dropbox account and I could put the links on here for you if you want, some of the other guys on here have done them many months ago, but no problem if you want me to post them again.

julie - you are correct, Nessie is real, I've heard he's moved in with Elvis somewhere near Oban with a lovely view of the Isle of Mull (so he can keep his eye on Santa Claus)
29 of 34  -   Report This Post

julie, aberdeen

16th September 2011, 23:05
Steady on Les.. you'll be headhunted by the Scottish Tourist Board.
Cheers
Julie
30 of 34  -   Report This Post