CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

6th August 2011, 22:08
I wondered if it meant that but my Russian is not as good as my Welsh - which is quite limited!
11 of 50  -   Report This Post

the riddler

6th August 2011, 22:19
Well, terry as was. Nice to see that the standard has improved on here! One of us used to be employed as a Russian Linguist, and it wasn't you. Comprende. Perhaps you could google it!
12 of 50  -   Report This Post

terry as was

6th August 2011, 22:24
http://www.single-serving.com/Russian/TB/basics.php

Well, I googled it. Please see above. Must be why they let you go.
13 of 50  -   Report This Post

the riddler

6th August 2011, 22:33
Hi Terry, I didn't bother to look. The phrase can, and often is, said either way round. In the same way as we can say 'many thanks' and 'thanks a lot'. I was taught the 'thanks a lot' version. If you check on google translate and try it both ways round you'll find it is quite happy. Anyway, why so nasty? I was only saying thanks.
14 of 50  -   Report This Post

terry as was

6th August 2011, 22:43
the riddler,
It must have been obvious that my first use of "comprende" was a joke. It was equally obvious that your use of "comprende" wasn't a joke. If you were really employed as a Russian Linguist you would have already known that many phrases can be given a slightly different meaning. You wouldn't have had to look it up. If you want to pretend to be fluent in russian you have got to be a bit more convincing. What you must not do is say someone is wrong when they are not,and then back track like mad. Saying someone is being nasty just because they put you right is also a pretty cheap shot.
15 of 50  -   Report This Post

the riddler

6th August 2011, 22:55
So calling me a dork was your idea of a joke then was it Terry? Sorry mate but you can't have it both ways. I'm not the one who's backtracking. Oh, and why would I lie? I'm sitting here completely anonymous to everyone and I don't need to massage my ego.
16 of 50  -   Report This Post

terry as was

6th August 2011, 23:04
the riddler,
Post no 10 (where I used comprende) wasn't addressed to you was it. Every time I speak to you I use your name. You must have a guilty conscience.
A child could see that if someone criticises using foreign words and then signs off "comprende" it is a joke.

Lets face it, you got a bit hissy because your russian pedigree was shown to be seriously mongrel. I'd put it down to experience if I was you and let it go.
17 of 50  -   Report This Post

the riddler

6th August 2011, 23:18
Terry
You really can't help yourself can you? I already said that my version is perfectly correct, and certainly not mongrel. You have such a charming turn of phrase. Furthermore, I'm really not having a hissy (what would be the point staring at a monitor). Merely trying to protect myself against some classic bullying tactics. How the heck did it get to this?
18 of 50  -   Report This Post

terry as was

6th August 2011, 23:28
the riddler,
Maybe you do have personality problems and go on line so you can fantasise about being a russian linguist. You certainly have a problem when someone shows you are making it up as you go along. Like a lot of inadequates your first call is claim you are being bullied,people are being nasty to you,etc. Anything rather than face up to the truth - that you talk utter rubbish.
19 of 50  -   Report This Post

the joker

6th August 2011, 23:32
The Riddler
"How the heck did it get to this"
I would suggest that you are the one who is escalating matters here,finally accusing Terry,a very much loved contributor to this forum,of bullying.
BTW - was your expertise in Russian gained doing National Service,and attending the Services School of Languages at Bodmin?
20 of 50  -   Report This Post