CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

trevor

28th July 2011, 00:20
well done Paul,wish i'd thought of the 'stablemate' angle.
51 of 78  -   Report This Post

chrisg

28th July 2011, 06:34
well done Paul - excellent clue,
terry as was
Very funny!

52 of 78  -   Report This Post

therogue

28th July 2011, 10:24
Yes, well done Paul! An excellent bit of horse-play.
53 of 78  -   Report This Post

charlie

28th July 2011, 10:58
It's a pity that there are always those eager to criticise others. As if Tonyw's and cunninglinguist's (what a pathetic name that is) opinion mattered anyway.
54 of 78  -   Report This Post

cunninglinguist

28th July 2011, 11:06
I offered an opinion on what my favourite clue was without any critiscism of others. It's a bit pot and kettle when you then go on to critiscise my name, but hey all's fair in love and crosswords. :-)
55 of 78  -   Report This Post

pastille

28th July 2011, 11:25
judith....I think Tonyw was having a bit of persifage, and as for Cunning Linguist, he as we all, (even yourself) is entitled to an opinion.

Warning though C.L., we are encouraged not to comment on any clue before the Judges decision.

I know you didn't do this, just a "heads up" as you are a newbie.

take care

p@
56 of 78  -   Report This Post

charlie

28th July 2011, 13:18
I expect you meant to say persiflage Pastille. How calling someone's effort crap amounts to light banter escapes me. All Tonyw and cunninglinguist have done is to pour cold water on the winner and belittle their achievement. It does not matter whether they think it a worthy winner, it has nothing to do with them. They should keep their stupid mouths shut.
57 of 78  -   Report This Post

cunninglinguist

28th July 2011, 13:58
The following is to be regarded or disregarded as you see fit.
I actually like Paul's clue so maybe should have offered my congratulations along with stating my preferred clue. I have no problem with the adjudication. Water off a duck's back to me but I always find it kind of amusing when someone pulls a poster up about supposed abusive/disrespectful comments by being abusive or disrecpectful. Here's hoping we can all get along better in the future.
58 of 78  -   Report This Post

paul

28th July 2011, 18:22
Hi everyone and thanks for the plaudits!

Special thanks to Judith for arguing my corner as well as the general case - I personally make it my modus operandi to stay as polite and non-judgemental as possible. In fairness it has to be said that our new friend CL - may I call you "wisewordsmith" for the sake of sensitive readers - agrees with such a philosophy.
Tonyw appeared to have "done a Ratner" prematurely based on a misreading of the clue. In fairness an apology followed - all is forgiven!

Terry - I hope Chris and Bunty enjoyed our virtual victuals.

Anyway... see your posts soon in Clueless 19...
59 of 78  -   Report This Post

terry as was

28th July 2011, 19:12
Can I make a little suggestion. If anyone feels obliged to criticise the winner they should put their point to the judge. It is completely unfair to have a go at the compiler. It wasn't them that made the decision.
60 of 78  -   Report This Post