CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tonyw

3rd July 2011, 12:54
Hi all,I am going to phone them in the morning,I have e mailed already,and I'll let you know what happens
31 of 42  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

3rd July 2011, 12:56
Thanks, Tony. My reputation as a pain in the neck hangs in the balance.

P
32 of 42  -   Report This Post

jolan

3rd July 2011, 13:00
Hi Tony
I've just emailed them a moment ago. I'll also let you know their response. I'll stick to this thread.

Pipesmoker 'a pain in the neck'? NEVER. You're a trusted contributor, in my eyes.

Off to do some gardening (or something)
Goodbye for Sunday

Jolan
33 of 42  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

3rd July 2011, 13:03
Thanks, Jolan. I will convey your words to Mrs P. She might not agree, though. Have a lovely day. The sun is shining, God is in His heaven etc etc.

P
34 of 42  -   Report This Post

jolan

4th July 2011, 20:25
Hi Tonyw (et al)
I received two auto acknowledgements tto my single email, telling me how it 'might' not be possible to answer due to the 'large' number of emails they receive.
Poor show, in my opinion.
Hope you had better luck when/if you telephoned them.

Jolan
35 of 42  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

4th July 2011, 20:31
Hi, Jolan, I wonder how many of the large number of emails concern the crossword.

Never mind, keep your eyes open for Jolan's Five at 5. It is due out tomorrow.

Best wishes.

P
36 of 42  -   Report This Post

tonyw

4th July 2011, 20:36
Hi Jolan,me too.
Have had two auto replies and have phoned them many times.
I suspect that if we phoned their subscription hot line or try to spend money advertising then we would get through straight away.
I am not brave enough to do it but if anybody fancies a go the number for new subscriptions is 0800 0561057,the subscription query number is 0800 9047214
37 of 42  -   Report This Post

jolan

4th July 2011, 21:04
Well Tony
Maybe we'll eventually receive a reply (but don't hold your breath).

Pipesmoker.
Indeed! Perhaps they ARE about the crossie.

Nite, nite!
38 of 42  -   Report This Post

jolan

5th July 2011, 10:48
Good Morning Tonyw and Pipesmoker
Just had the following reply from Bob Gregory at Cullen.

Dear .......
Thank you for your recent mail to Saga Magazine questioning the July prize crossword.

You are, of course, quite correct and I have been requested, as setter, to respond to you about this unhappy little glitch.

The clue to 8 Down is wrong. It should have read "A key to the passage (5)" giving AISLE to fit with ELAPSES.

I originally had a clue for ADDLE, but upon reflection, wasn't really happy with the definition of 'empty' so decided to change the light.

This text change was submitted to the magazine's editorial team for amendment, was - unfortunately - missed and to compound matters I then failed to pick up the necessary change when I was proofing the crossword for publication.

In effect, I missed spotting the clash between the old clue and the new light.

For this, many apologies from myself and the August issue will be printing a note to our solvers in general.

Thank you - sorry! - and best wishes

Cullen

That's fair enough.

See you later on 5 @ 5. Just tidying it up in case I make a, quite understandable, error also.

39 of 42  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

5th July 2011, 11:07
Thanks for all your trouble in this matter, Jolan. He would have been better to leave the thing alone, as the replacement wasn't really very good.

Awaiting your 5@5

Best wishes

P
40 of 42  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Saga July