CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

2nd July 2011, 15:31
Thanks Julie. Hope he comes on over the weekend.

I must go off now but will take a quick peek in before I go out. Otherwise, tomorrow!
21 of 42  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

2nd July 2011, 15:33
Time for nicotine and caffeine, but will keep watching.

Best wishes to all.

P
22 of 42  -   Report This Post

paul

2nd July 2011, 16:20
Afternoon gentlemen.
Seems no contest. Dot dash is clearly correct, much easier to assume an error by Saga mistaking passes for passed in the clue. End of. It happens. Maybe they sould employ one of us to proof the clues before publication!
23 of 42  -   Report This Post

paul

2nd July 2011, 16:29
err...should employ! (glass houses...)
24 of 42  -   Report This Post

tonyw

2nd July 2011, 16:30
sorry folks,just got home .I have aisle
25 of 42  -   Report This Post

tonyw

2nd July 2011, 16:47
the A is from stoccata,the S is from elapses and the E is from trotskyite so we have
A?S?E
26 of 42  -   Report This Post

jolan

3rd July 2011, 11:37
Hello Tonyw and thanks for getting back to me.
Yes AISLE is the only choice BUT is clearly wrong. I have the same 'letter source' as you (and I agree it was a 'swine' this month).

It would appear that the tense of the first word of the clue for 11A is incorrect. BUT, even if this were 'Passed', the rest of the clue would be meaningless.

ADDLE would appear to be correct.

Are you going to send it in? I don't think I'll bother. I might write to the crossword editor though.

I see there's another post with your name on it. I'll have a peek now.
27 of 42  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

3rd July 2011, 11:59
HI, Jolan. We seem to be having a conversation on three different threads, so I'll answer on this one which was started by you.

I presume this is a monthly magazine. Do we get the answers in August, or is it a bit like the Radio Times which is about six weeks behind with its answers?

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the solution says. Will they give an apology in the event of a misprint? If the answer is addle, then it is fairly straight forward. If it turns out to be aisle, then I think my convoluted thinking will have been correct.

Particularly in some churches, the aisle seat seems to be in great demand, whether as a means of a hasty escape or to make sure that visitors don't feel too welcome. You know the scene - ten empty spaces in the middle, and a stalwart at either end blocking entry.

Please let us all know when you find out the answer. Meantime, there is a pipe to be smoked, coffee to be drunk, and a recording of Desert Island Discs to be listened to.

Best wishes for now.

P
28 of 42  -   Report This Post

jolan

3rd July 2011, 12:22
Ta Pipesmoker. It does seem to have spilled over! I think I'll (aisle) try for that seat; boom, boom!. Oh, sorry! Methinks I must go for the coffee and tab-nabs too. It IS a monthly and the solutions will be published in the September edition. I'll continue to look at AISLE to see if there's any way to make this the correct answer.
Byee
J
29 of 42  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

3rd July 2011, 12:41
In summary:

(Ch)aisLe
30 of 42  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Saga July