CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

teapot

28th May 2011, 20:27
Good grief! How could anyone, other than an avid Bible reader, solve that one? I thought I had a reasonable knowledge of the good book, but phew! Thank goodness for this forum, or I would have gone to bed bonkers.
31 of 36  -   Report This Post

wee jock

29th May 2011, 18:25
Howdy Folks.
FAO Teapot(and anyone else who is interested)

I being of non-conformist persuasion(Scot.Pres.)knew this expression from my mother's knee(and other low joints)but I confess, did not know the context from which it came. However,having now looked it up in my CRUDENS CONCORDANCE(which no serious Crossword Solver should be without)here it is
for your perusal and digestion. It may come up in another crossword, you know!

MATTTHEW Chapt.23 Vs.27
JESUS soeaks to the multitude and to his
disciples.
27. Woe unto you,Scribes and Pharisees,hypocrites! for you are like unto
WHITED SEPULCHRES which indeed appear beautiful outward,but are within all dead men's bones and of all uncleanliness.

HANG ON IN THERE OLD GAL
BEST REGARDS TO ALL
NUFF SAID THE NOO
WJ

32 of 36  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

29th May 2011, 18:32
Good to see there are still those among us who are able to quote bits of the Bible. I despair when listening to some quiz programmes and people think Samson might have been the cousin and forerunner of Jesus.

I used to like Ecclesiastes 12 when it was talking to me. Not so daft on it now that it is speaking about me.

I got the W.S. answer ok, but my knowledge is limited. Mrs P, on the other hand (BD Glasgow, and all that), can come up with the more obscure answers.

Hope all are well, and continued blessings on Old Gal

Best wishes.

P.
33 of 36  -   Report This Post

maisie

30th May 2011, 14:45
Thanks Wee Jock - I would never have got3D.

Can anyone help with 21A? and 17D - then I'm finished.
34 of 36  -   Report This Post

crypto

30th May 2011, 15:19
Hi Maisie

Re 21A - women like to wear a lot of this (the magazine is one you would see on a shelf in a newsagent's).

Re 17D - Another name (or rank)for a senior lecturer and what a book lover is.

Hope that helps
35 of 36  -   Report This Post

maisie

30th May 2011, 15:28
Thanks Crypto - I get it now.

always amazed how people finish the RTs so quickly. Takes me a while to get my head round the clues before I can actually solve anything. I must try harder.
36 of 36  -   Report This Post