CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

terry

19th May 2011, 17:27
Tony,
Thank you for that contribution. But quite what it has to with the matter in hand I don't know.

41 of 62  -   Report This Post

the joker

19th May 2011, 17:29
It seems to me Terry that you have irked some people on this forum.
These hyper critical people,and I will name them - Rosie and Tony,would be better sticking to Academia,and leaving humble sites such as this to us lesser mortals.
Maybe somewhere there exists a site more suited to them,rather than this one.Hopefully they may yet find it.
My advice is that you ignore them,although I know this is almost impossible for you of all people.
For what it is worth I thought your "clue" was perfectly correct in its construction.
42 of 62  -   Report This Post

terry

19th May 2011, 17:39
The Joker,

It's OK. I know what Tony is like. He's just getting his own back for a couple digs at him I had over Jolan's 5@5 and his inability to tell the time.

As for Rosie, I've said all I intend to say to her. I'll leave her to go round and round in ever decreasing circles until.............

You've got to laugh though,haven't you.
43 of 62  -   Report This Post

tony

19th May 2011, 18:03
Terry

Thank for acknowledging my contribution. As far as what is has to do with the matter in hand I felt that, this been a crossword help forum, I rather presumptously you may think, that I could offer some assistance as you are clearly a novice solver and would-be setter.
My intentions were well meant as we all have to go through the learning process.
I did think that for someone so inexperienced you did come over rather strongly on Rosie's minor criticisms of the content of your winning contribution, when you clearly did not fully understand clueing convention and form.
Instead of taking the points as well intentioned you bridled at the criticisms before eventually conceding.

Good luck with your clue setting & I really do , if you are serious, recommend Ximenes' book.

Finally I'm not sure I understand your comment that I was 'getting my own back' for some timing issue. If you feel like elaborating then please do otherwise let's move on.
44 of 62  -   Report This Post

siamcat

19th May 2011, 18:08
WOW!!!

I'm with pastille on this. How did our little excursion into fun clue setting get so serious?

It isn't meant to be elitist, or to be comparable to the best crossword setters of the day (although I think a few have come very, very close).

All entries are welcome, regardless of expertise, and no critisism should be levelled at anyone's attempt, winner included!!

Otherwise no-one will even attempt a CLUELESS clue for fear of fault-finding.

Sorry I was away and missed this one, but enjoyed working out all the entries for another tricky word from AB.

Well done terry, concise clueing again. Looking forward to next week's offering.
45 of 62  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

19th May 2011, 18:36
May I put my tuppence worth in? I played around with this and came up with "contract for inflight books concern" but I rejected it because, although I liked the play on contract, in its second sense it is a verb and abbreviation is a noun so strictly it doesn't work. However, this is a bit of fun and I did like Terry's clue and the editor's decision is always final so let's not spoil a good thing. I'll try harder next time.
46 of 62  -   Report This Post

terry

19th May 2011, 18:49
Tony,

You might be Billy Whizz at crosswords but your English comprehension is a bit iffy. Rosie made three criticisms. Two of them were nonsense, one could be argued. That's what I said straight away and that's what I maintained. I didn't concede anything.

I don't have any ambition to be a clue setter so I'll pass on the suggestion to read Ximenes. But I'll carry on having a go at "clueless" in my amateurish way.

I've said before on this forum that the only crosswords I do are the Mail (regularly) and the Telegraph (occasionally). All I ever see of the "quality/serious" crosswords is the threads that appear here- usually as a sort of discussion,without the clues being given. I don't accept that they are somehow superior or especially difficult. As far as I can see they are a bit like the Radio Times but you often need a Chambers to confirm that the fairly obvious answer actually means something. Frankly, it strikes me as absurd,but each to his own.

I think you know full well what I meant about timing on 5@5.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.
47 of 62  -   Report This Post

barrycat

19th May 2011, 19:10
Just popped in to find out who won. Congrats Terry. Jeezo, what a load of guff that followed. It's a bit of fun. This was the first time I tried it and am just pleased I managed to use all the letters. Thank god I've got my own prozac or Terry would have to have given me some of his prize, after reading that mince. Join in folks and don't be so dour. Some of the good folk on this forum are ready to walk away, don't push them.
48 of 62  -   Report This Post

tony

19th May 2011, 19:22
You are very welcome to the advice & I hope it helps.

I have looked back at Jolan@5 and surely you are not making an issue over a posting 1 minute to 5??
Now I think about it, I remember on a previous occasion posting a bit early as I have lecturing duties on Tuesdays. I see that my explanation was met by a comment from you reeking with sarcasm.
I really don't know what your problem is or why you see ulterior motives in things.

I hope you are not being serious when you compare the Radio Times with an EV (Enigmatic Variations) Inquisitor or Listener. To say you can't see any difference in difficulty is just astonishing
and really does explain a lot.

49 of 62  -   Report This Post

sallyw

19th May 2011, 19:55
Why the cross words peeps?
50 of 62  -   Report This Post