CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

6th May 2011, 01:18
That's not completely right, here goes again.

To ask for = Solicit

Then another 'for' dropping the FDidn't see it straight away why they used 'another', hope that explained it ok
11 of 28  -   Report This Post

sammy

6th May 2011, 01:23
SOLICITOR = Will composer! I'd thought of SOLICITOR but couldn't figure out why. And yes, the F for fortissimo I agree seems to indicate dropping an F. Ask for = SOLICIT? Drop F from FOR? What is the *another* about?
I still don't quite get the clue.

This has been the case with quite a few in this crossword. Even when I got stillborn,there is something about it that doesn't seem 100%.
12 of 28  -   Report This Post

les40

6th May 2011, 01:29
I've explained above, maybe wasn't clear enough
when you read it, it says ask for (which means solicit)
then it's wanting another 'for'
it wants you to use FOR twice in the clue to give you something to drop the F from, leaving OR at the end of SOLICIT
13 of 28  -   Report This Post

sammy

6th May 2011, 01:36
Okay... our last few posts crossed, so I posted my last one before reading your last two! So I was still trying to figure out the *another*.

I've got one more that has been bugging me for ages. I thought it was an anagram:

Corruptly harbour negligence? Not our place to expose material (9, 5).

- - E - C - I - G / G - R - E -

Should be able to get the second word, you'd think...GARDEN, GARTER, GIRDER, GARNER, GAINER?

And the first one? Bleaching, pleaching, preaching, drenching? I dunno...
I'm supposed to be sitting up watching the election results and here I am poring over this and missing all the news!
14 of 28  -   Report This Post

samak

6th May 2011, 01:47
Is the second word 5 or 6 letters ?
15 of 28  -   Report This Post

les40

6th May 2011, 01:47
BLEACHING GREEN.

It is an anagram of Harbour negligence without OUR (Not our)
And its a green to bleach clothes on
16 of 28  -   Report This Post

samak

6th May 2011, 01:48
bleaching green (Anag of harb(our) negligence)
17 of 28  -   Report This Post

samak

6th May 2011, 01:49
Ha ha. You got in first Les :-)
18 of 28  -   Report This Post

les40

6th May 2011, 01:51
You had it anyway samak, Well done.

I'm off to bed now,
19 of 28  -   Report This Post

sammy

6th May 2011, 01:53
Ignore my last post: I misread it as if the last letter(G)from the first word was the first letter(G)of a six-letter word! I read the same G twice, whereas there are two Gs and the answer is BLEACHING GREEN.

Talk about being a dumbo! This crossword has made me feel brainless. I am finished now and really glad to see the back of it.
Here is an example of another clue I couldn't figure out, even though I thought I had the right answer.

Princes brought up to serve, in the beginning (5).

I eventually hit on RAJAS because it is a word for Indian princes (and it enabled me to solve another crossing clue, thanks to the J, which made me think it must be right) but other than that, how does the clue work? Brought up = reading a down clue in reverse? And S the beginning to SERVE? But...I don't know - it doesn't seem to click into place in that satisfying way you get when you have a solution.
20 of 28  -   Report This Post