CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

the joker

3rd May 2011, 13:03
I am amazed.
How can people who solve crosswords be incapable of reading simple instructions.
I can only assume that they choose to ignore the rules to demonstrate how clever they are,and to hell with everyone else.
I am so sorry that they are putting your excellent thread in jeopardy.
11 of 28  -   Report This Post

sammy

3rd May 2011, 13:21
If you had posted like this at the top of your message
Please do not post solutions before 5pm
it might have been more noticeable.

Even better would be to make the title of your thread

No solutions before 5pm, please

If after that, people still post them, it is probably deliberate and not inadvertent. And there is nothing you can do to stop that. Some people will post things on here, regardless of other people, simply because they can.
12 of 28  -   Report This Post

jolan

3rd May 2011, 13:21
Thanks a million guys. How heartening to 'hear' your comments. I, too, am inclined to give Nytram the b.o.t.doubt.

Pastille has a good idea. I was intending to cease posting but will continue to do so. The 'mentally incompetent' may continue to spoil, but we'll just ignore them, eh? Thank you Pastile.

AJT. Don't even consider leaving. This site would be very much poorer without you.

The Joker. Ta muchly. Your very reasoned post will be quite above the heads of the loonies, unfortunately.

And Terry - great! Love the way you get right to the heart of things. Where would we be without you?

What about no. 2? Might as well solve it now.
13 of 28  -   Report This Post

jolan

3rd May 2011, 13:24
Thanks Sammy. You wrote as I wrote. I cannot see how I could have been clearer. It's underlined and (usually - but not this time) in bold. Appealling to reason only applies to the reasonable, don't forget.
14 of 28  -   Report This Post

ixion

3rd May 2011, 13:24
hardcore
15 of 28  -   Report This Post

terry

3rd May 2011, 13:27
OK. no2. Abso-bloody-lutely my favourite sort of film.....hardcore.
16 of 28  -   Report This Post

sammy

3rd May 2011, 13:42
No, Jolan, I definitely did *not* write as you wrote!

There is a huge difference between a headline of five or seven words:

No solutions before 5 pm, please

and something like 18 or 19:

It’s been suggested that solutions are withheld till 5 pm BST (GMT+1) to allow others to have a go.

I set out to make it short! Second, I deliberately put it in bold to highlight the difference in visibility.

The eye tends to skip to the clues, and to be honest, I would scarcely "see" the long sentence even if underlined.

My suggestions are constructive and meant to be helpful.

I also meant to add that even if people do continue to solve it before time, it is still worth doing for the pleasure you get out of doing it and you still get to see whether people can solve them.
17 of 28  -   Report This Post

nytram

3rd May 2011, 13:45
dear jolan,my apologies,i have only been on this site for 3 weeks now,i would not in a million years go out of my way to spoil anything.im a bit pi??ed off with myself now.are we still friends?.warmest regards to you and all the others.Nytram.
18 of 28  -   Report This Post

pastille

3rd May 2011, 14:12
B--ger...I got hardcore!

Glad your not giving up Jolan.

And welcome Nytram, and pay no heed to me...I rarely follow through with my physical threats.

But be warned.

take care all,

p@
19 of 28  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

3rd May 2011, 14:18
No, Jolan, I definitely did *not* write as you wrote!

Sammy, I think Jolan was saying that you both wrote at the same time, not that you'd written the same thing...
20 of 28  -   Report This Post